PDA

View Full Version : I have no clue...

poorboystoy
09-18-2012, 07:37 PM
First off I'm new to this site so here is the low down....I have a 98 f150 xl 5.4 4 wheel drive I took it out to a local mud hole where my buddy got stuck and pulled him out (of course I played a little) then when I pulled out on the pavement I turned the tires over to clean em out and it suddenly started missing really bad and died...I started it back up and took off down the road its still missing and its overheating...I fixed miss (fouled out coil)....still over heats check engine light came on and it was head temp...I erased it and it hasent come back on but truck still over heats but only when you are moving...any ideas?

motoman16
09-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Mud is somewhere it is causing it to over heat at least that's what happend to mine clean the engine bay and engine until its like new

poorboystoy
09-19-2012, 09:51 AM
I did that I even flushed the radiator my next plan is new belt and water pump....

kantczak
09-27-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm an aviation tech but overheat conditions could be anything:

Common checklist for reciprocating engines:

Lean fuel
Air leaks in induction system
Restrictions in airflow
Incorrect valve operation or clearance
Restrictions in exhaust
Pre ignition due to carbon or bad plug
Warped valves
Loose valve seats or guides
Worn valve guides

These are all common to engine overheating maybe a place for you to start with inspections of this stuff instead of just throwing money at it cause I know how much fun that is!

Good luck

Raptor05121
09-27-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm an aviation tech but overheat conditions could be anything:

Common checklist for reciprocating engines:

Lean fuel
Air leaks in induction system
Restrictions in airflow
Incorrect valve operation or clearance
Restrictions in exhaust
Pre ignition due to carbon or bad plug
Warped valves
Loose valve seats or guides
Worn valve guides

These are all common to engine overheating maybe a place for you to start with inspections of this stuff instead of just throwing money at it cause I know how much fun that is!

Good luck

Hahahah you can definately tell that one is geared towards Lycoming engines!

Check your PMs!

kantczak
09-27-2012, 08:41 AM
That obvious...