PDA

View Full Version : Turbos and Superchargers

codwel09
08-24-2012, 10:56 AM
The title says it all. Looking to place one (low-mediocre budget in mind) or the other on my 5.4L and I'm just getting info on everything. Which is the best way? What all may I need to upgrade? What's the best bang for the buck so to speak? Any and all answers welcomed. I could use all the info I can get.

BFEB
08-24-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm a big fan of turbos, but I think a blower would be less expensive and easier to do.

You could just combine the two and get a ProChrger kit which is belt driven, but looks just like a turbo. Check out their site.

As far as other upgrades the fuel system it gonna need a boost. Other than that the internals should handle some boost just not a lot. I'd try and stay bellow 10lbs if you don't wanna beef up the internals of the motor.

Jersey_Joe
08-24-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm more of a supercharger guy. Easy to install and big power. However. Turbos arnt that bad to install. Just a little more tedious. I have a hellion kit on my Shelby. Twin turbo and supercharged. It's a monster. But my lightning has a ford racing wihipple blower on it. If ur lookin to b fast. Go with a twin screw supercharger. Me personally I'm not a fan of sintrifical style blowers. R u goin to race ,haul, what r u lookin to do? If ur hauling. Turbo kit. If u just wanna bury hemis and eat tundras. Well..... Supercharger. All the way

codwel09
08-24-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm more of a supercharger guy. Easy to install and big power. However. Turbos arnt that bad to install. Just a little more tedious. I have a hellion kit on my Shelby. Twin turbo and supercharged. It's a monster. But my lightning has a ford racing wihipple blower on it. If ur lookin to b fast. Go with a twin screw supercharger. Me personally I'm not a fan of sintrifical style blowers. R u goin to race ,haul, what r u lookin to do? If ur hauling. Turbo kit. If u just wanna bury hemis and eat tundras. Well..... Supercharger. All the way

Well, I'm real interested in a supercharger. But I've been looking at both. I'm a volunteer firefighter so I respond to calls in my truck and to the station. Just need the extra boost to pass the cars and I wouldn't mind burying hemis and tundras, haha.

Raptor05121
08-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Yeah its all opinions on here. Turbos do have more power, but superchargers sound SEXY!!!

Anything under <8 lbs boost will be relatively safe on stock internals. You'll need a new fuel pump, among other things. There are literally hundreds of people on another forum (www.f150online.com) who have write-ups and complete parts swap lists when it comes to forced induction. One thing is for sure: DO YOUR HOMEWORK! especially if you are going to dump thousands of dollars and up to a weeks down-time on your truck.

codwel09
08-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Well, I was considering a supercharger due to the different spool times on turbos. Go big for high end and small for low end but I kinda need both which in my research I could take care of both with a supercharger.

Jersey_Joe
08-25-2012, 08:19 AM
So much out there to fit ur needs. But as always. The professor is right. Do your homework. Blower is prob ur way to go.

----------

Leme know how u make out

bigred5.4l
09-06-2012, 11:33 PM
If its a low $ project do NOT get a pro charger, supercharger, or turbocharger. They all require more than just the kit all of them are about 3000plus then the installation but in order to instal u will need to upgrade engine parts head studs, bearing, rods ect. You will also have to get your ECM reprogrammed that's not cheap. You can't just run 20 psi of boost throw a stock motor. If u want more power go back to the basics hi flow exhaust, CAI, programmer, race plugs, a throttle body spacer there are 1000 cheaper ways for power but all in all non will give you the power that a charger will so if u want one u can't go a cheap way because there isn't one...... Programmer I on its way

codwel09
09-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Well I'm not sure how much boost I should run so that I'm not wasting my money on it, but I wasn't exactly expecting to run over 10 psi for now. If u want more boost later then I'm sure I'll have plenty of money to throw at it if I can find a good paying fire dept. And thanks! I'll be looking for it!

2005 XLT 5.4L V8, flow master catback duals

Raptor05121
09-08-2012, 12:16 PM
if I can find a good paying fire dept.

Is that a joke? Because there is no such thing. LOL

You can get stock Eaton M112 setups for about $1500 for everything.

Jersey_Joe
09-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Haha. I'll be selling the eaton on my lightning soon. Goin fer the ford racing whipple. I'll keep u posted

codwel09
09-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Yea that was pretty much, lol

2005 XLT 5.4L V8, flow master catback duals