PDA

View Full Version : Left my back window open during a thunderstorm

Big Slick
07-22-2013, 06:06 AM
Thursday night I left my back window open in my truck and it poured for like 2 hours. The next morning is when I realized I left the window open. The way the rain was coming down I figured I might be ok because the rain was going to be coming into the truck as it was coming down at a major angle(damn near sideways). Well I felt the backseat and it felt dry so I figured I got lucky. Saturday thought started to notice a foul odor in my truck. Since then the smell has gotten worse. I opened all the windows yesterday and let it sit it the sun hoping it would dry out my seats (thinking that's where the smell is coming from). Well this morning I open up the truck and that odor is still there. What should I do to get rid of that smell? It's pissing me off and I knew that one day I would leave that back window open and it would burn me, but I didn't expect such a foul odor.

Jersey_Joe
07-22-2013, 07:31 AM
That's mold setting in man. Gota vacuum the rest of the water out and scrub your carpets an seats

masonic
07-22-2013, 07:45 AM
I don't know if there's anything good you can just spray on from a can to make it better, but maybe someone else would know about that. You can however go to a vehicle detailer and they can steam clean, or dry clean the seats and carpet in your truck. Most likely unless you have a rodent behind your seat, the smells in the carpet.

----------

That's mold setting in man. Gota vacuum the rest of the water out and scrub your carpets an seats

I was just talking to someone about that, biology question, can mold just grow in places where they're not being fed? It's probably cool and damp now, but when it dries the mold will go too, not?

djfllmn
07-22-2013, 08:04 AM
nope that area will stay damp...the problem lies under the carpet where the padding got wet and that will stay wet...

RhinoZ24
07-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Thursday night I left my back window open in my truck and it poured for like 2 hours. The next morning is when I realized I left the window open. The way the rain was coming down I figured I might be ok because the rain was going to be coming into the truck as it was coming down at a major angle(damn near sideways). Well I felt the backseat and it felt dry so I figured I got lucky. Saturday thought started to notice a foul odor in my truck. Since then the smell has gotten worse. I opened all the windows yesterday and let it sit it the sun hoping it would dry out my seats (thinking that's where the smell is coming from). Well this morning I open up the truck and that odor is still there. What should I do to get rid of that smell? It's pissing me off and I knew that one day I would leave that back window open and it would burn me, but I didn't expect such a foul odor.

Use a carpet cleaner and clean your seats and carpet. Go over your carpet multiple times. Let it dry in the sun for hours until the carpet is dry. Use some spray on carpet cleaner that has an odor remover after that. Proceed to let that dry. Hope for the best. If that fails, you may have to lift up the carpet to remove the mold.

Big Slick
07-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Just got in the truck and the smell is dieing down. Neither the seats or the carpet feel wet. I've kneeled on both and no wet marks have shown up on my knees. I'm going to see what happens over the next few days.

Jersey_Joe
07-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Good luck slick

Big Slick
07-22-2013, 09:23 PM
Well I was wrong about the carpet. I got home and lifted the weathertech mat in the backseat up. Sure enough it was wet. I vacuumed it out and left the doors open so the sun could get in the truck. Once it was dry I sprinkled some deodorizing carpet cleaner and vacuumed it out again. Truck smells brand new. We'll see what tomorrow morning brings.

Raptor05121
07-23-2013, 12:46 AM
It mostly gets under the flooring. Its a PITA.

Maybe A LOT of rice???? Put a dehumidifier in overnight?