PDA

View Full Version : flashing theft light

Lou
07-26-2012, 06:11 PM
I bought a 99 F150 2 days ago and it had a check engine light on only. Today it has a "theft" light that flashes when the vehicle is shut off--not while driving. Not familiar with this option and it wasn't flashing when I got the truck. What is this? Does it mean its stolen?--or is it some form of security? Thanx

Cody.kopp
07-26-2012, 06:19 PM
It should blink when door are close and truck is off and key is in but not turned

----------

Did you pull the codes to see why check light is on

Raptor05121
07-26-2012, 08:25 PM
How often is it flasing? I think its just the PATS saying that security is armed

Lou
07-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanx. Never had a truck with that option....actually never owned one as new as this one LOL I current DD is a semi-restored 89 ranger. Haven't pulled the code yet for the check engine light. Truck is running normal so hoping its something minor--might get to that today. thanx

Bothe
07-27-2012, 08:45 PM
I have a 98 F150 an had a 01 ranger before it an both do the same thing. It just flashes because it's locked so if the vehicles doors open from the inside, it will go off an if your key is chipped then it keeps theives from stealing it with a shaved key. It's just a basic factory theft system. Funny story actually with my ranger. I found an extra key for it which had never been used so I wanted to use it instead of my regular key. Well the next morning I go out an try to start my truck an nothing. it doesnt even try to turn over. We messed with that truck all day come to find out that the key I had didnt haver a chip in it so it wasnty letting the truck start. hahaha Didnt even know anything about the chip system until then

Lou
08-04-2012, 05:30 AM
thanx for sharing that! Might save me spending a day on it one day : )