PDA

View Full Version : Blew a spark plug out

Tyler M
07-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone else had this happen. I had a spark plug blow out and the local garage bought the tool to replace the plug. And with in a month I had no compression in that plug. Could they have made a mistake resulting in me losing compression in that plug. Was just wondering if anyone had an opinion wether a bad fix job could have cost me a motor!!

Wakesurfer
07-17-2012, 06:37 AM
I have an 02 screw with the 5.4L and had one do the same thing. I took it to Ford and it's pretty common for that engine. They had to put a helicoil in the head to fix it. The spark plugs on that engine are only holding on by a few threads. When they blow out it usually ruins the threads and the coil. I haven't had any problems with mine since but I'm not looking forward to the day I put new plugs in it. Your loss of compression is due to the helicoil not being seated correctly. Take it back the the same shop and have them fix it right. Or go to Ford and have them do it $$$ they have a lot of practice with this issue.
Here's a website for you. www.blownoutsparkplug.com

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

Tyler M
07-17-2012, 10:30 PM
I have an 02 screw with the 5.4L and had one do the same thing. I took it to Ford and it's pretty common for that engine. They had to put a helicoil in the head to fix it. The spark plugs on that engine are only holding on by a few threads. When they blow out it usually ruins the threads and the coil. I haven't had any problems with mine since but I'm not looking forward to the day I put new plugs in it. Your loss of compression is due to the helicoil not being seated correctly. Take it back the the same shop and have them fix it right. Or go to Ford and have them do it $$$ they have a lot of practice with this issue.
Here's a website for you. www.blownoutsparkplug.com

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

Thanks for the info! I will go see the shop tomorrow. I bought a 2012 F150 FX4 and absolutely love every bit of it. GREAT trucks

Bradgriffith2003
12-19-2012, 09:05 AM
I have a 03 4.6, I blew a plug back, passanger side. They had to Helicoil it. Took the threads out. Scared me, thought I blew my motor for a second.