PDA

View Full Version : Replacement bulbs in the instrument panel

liderbug
05-29-2012, 09:21 AM
1997 F150 XLT 3D

At night it's really dark between 45 & 65 mph. I've figured out how to get to the bulbs. My question is: just replace with OEM? is there a better bulb? LEDs? (young lady at PB "you'll just have to bring one in...")

And as long as I'm here, speaking of lights. Headlight lens replacements... mine are frosted and 2 restore kits have made a 10% improvement. Again: OEM? Aftermarket Halo's? - without spending more than the truck is worth ;)

Thanks
Chuck

BFEB
05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
I would stay away from LEDs in the cluster. I did it on my 95 Ranger and it wasn't very bright at all. Maybe I just got cheap LEDs or something, but OEM style was better for visibility to me.

----------

As far of the headlights.... I don't know of just lens replacements. Probably have to get the whole housing or upgrade to an aftermarket housing

liderbug
05-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks. I went to the Ford Parts counter ... "Ah, we don't carry no part like that ...". Went to PepBoys ... "Hey Bill, this a 62 or a 74? 4!, how many ya need?". I can see now - all dressed up and no place to go...

Lens - I can get the lens/reflector for ?$40? or I can aftermarket for $120 to $800 - ya right - and a ham samich.
You know when they were made of glass we never had a frosting problem.

Thanks again