PDA

View Full Version : Transmission problems

Carolina Boostin
01-03-2012, 08:50 PM
ok i have a '82 F-150 351w dont know what trans but it wont shift when its cold but after it warms up its fine, truck has 88,*** original miles on it and has been used for what it was built for any ideas?

rangerwheelinmike
01-03-2012, 09:50 PM
ok i have a '82 F-150 351w dont know what trans but it wont shift when its cold but after it warms up its fine, truck has 88,*** original miles on it and has been used for what it was built for any ideas?
does it have overdrive?

Raptor05121
01-03-2012, 11:01 PM
is it a manual transmission? if so, its the pilot bearing or slave cylinder. ive had that problem before

Carolina Boostin
01-04-2012, 11:28 AM
does it have overdrive?
Yes

is it a manual transmission? if so, its the pilot bearing or slave cylinder. ive had that problem before
Auto

rangerwheelinmike
01-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Yes

Auto

Thet means its a Aod I don't know much abought them.

Sent from my Thunderbolt 4G using Tapatalk

Fordzilla80
01-04-2012, 02:35 PM
The real fix is to get rid of it. The AOD is comparable to the Ranger Automatics when they're in stock form.

However, if you want to keep it, I'd suspect the sealing rings, drum seals, and would recommend a good valve body removal and cleaning. Remove each valve individually and clean the varnish and crap out, and whatever else could cause the valves to stick. You may also wanna check the governor and it's valve. In all honesty, the governor and it's valve may be the easier check than the rest, and tends to be a common problem on AOD's.

Fordguy77
01-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Dont know too mcuh about the AODs. Are the Fluid lvls good? Is the fluid burnt? have you ever replaced the fluid and filter?

Fordzilla80 seems to know a good deal, might check the things hes listing.

Carolina Boostin
01-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Dont know too mcuh about the AODs. Are the Fluid lvls good? Is the fluid burnt? have you ever replaced the fluid and filter?

Fordzilla80 seems to know a good deal, might check the things hes listing.
fluids are fine not burnt but has never been changed neither has the filter but the last vehical i had the filter changed in the trans. went out

Fordguy77
01-04-2012, 04:02 PM
fluids are fine not burnt but has never been changed neither has the filter but the last vehical i had the filter changed in the trans. went out

This is one of those things that either needs to happen regular, or never. Because if you change it the first time with 70xxx or so the new fluid loosens up all the build up left from the old stuff and causes them to go out. IF its done every 50k or so then typically it causes no problems. That being said i drive only Standards because i was sick of dealing with autos.

Fordzilla80
01-04-2012, 04:21 PM
The opinion about changing the fluid and filter at higher mileage differs depending on who you ask. Most people say changing it causes damage. Other people say that the damage that appears after the change is strictly coincidental and that the transmission was already on it's way out before the filter and fluid change. I personally don't put too much into the "damage caused by the fluid/filter" theory since most people who believe in this perform the fluid/filter change on a transmission with over 100,000 miles. At that mileage, it's quite understandable if the transmission suddenly goes out since it had very little maintenance done on it. With used vehicles, you have absolutely no idea what was done a vehicle, so you pretty much just have to hope it's gonna be alright. My Ranger had 43,000 miles on it when I decided to change the fluid and filter, and luckily for me I found that the filter and the transmission pan gasket were not original, therefore I know it has been changed at least once before I got the truck.

rangerwheelinmike
01-04-2012, 04:22 PM
1 cup on brake flued in the tranny will clean up the stuck valves ford told me that years ago I have done it on many trucks and it works good.

Carolina Boostin
01-04-2012, 05:17 PM
that wont hurt it will it?

Fordguy77
01-04-2012, 05:27 PM
1 cup on brake flued in the tranny will clean up the stuck valves ford told me that years ago I have done it on many trucks and it works good.

That sounds like it can be risky. Depending on the transmission, age, and type of fluids involved. Its generally not a good idea to mix 2 types of hydraulic fluid. Also i have read somewhere that brake fluid has certain chemicals when mixed result in a low flash point. Doesn't sound fun for transmission that will be getting hot. Do you have details on this?

Not knocking it just throwing this out there before some 16 year tries this out and messes something major up.

Carolina Boostin
01-04-2012, 05:38 PM
That sounds like it can be risky. Depending on the transmission, age, and type of fluids involved. Its generally not a good idea to mix 2 types of hydraulic fluid. Also i have read somewhere that brake fluid has certain chemicals when mixed result in a low flash point. Doesn't sound fun for transmission that will be getting hot. Do you have details on this?

Not knocking it just throwing this out there before some 16 year tries this out and messes something major up.

im 21 thank you, i took auto tech at the local cc while in hs but we didnt learn about trans.
i dont think im going to try the brake fluid i was just askin

Fordguy77
01-04-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm sorry if you thought that comment was directed at you. It was directed as a blanket statement. I'm on several forms, and one of the ones I mod, someone posted "how to clean your engine with water" type comment. which isn't a safe practice. Then some kid read it on our fourm tried it on his truck, by sticking a garden house into his brake booster line. Then I received a lovely email from his parents on the subject about how my forum caused his motor to grenade. The comment was in no way directed at you or anyone on the fourm. Just your standard don't try this at home warning.

I'm also 21. I think my comment came off the wrong way.
And all of my automotive experience is what I've done with my hands and FSMs. I've never received formal training, nor will I claim I know anything more than the next guy.

Carolina Boostin
01-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm sorry if you thought that comment was directed at you. It was directed as a blanket statement. I'm on several forms, and one of the ones I mod, someone posted "how to clean your engine with water" type comment. which isn't a safe practice. Then some kid read it on our fourm tried it on his truck, by sticking a garden house into his brake booster line. Then I received a lovely email from his parents on the subject about how my forum caused his motor to grenade. The comment was in no way directed at you or anyone on the fourm. Just your standard don't try this at home warning.

I'm also 21. I think my comment came off the wrong way.
And all of my automotive experience is what I've done with my hands and FSMs. I've never received formal training, nor will I claim I know anything more than the next guy.

o ok thats fine im not a mod anywhere but ive seen people say try this try that and some i just decide to pop in and say dont do that its dumb
sorry if i snapped

Fordguy77
01-04-2012, 07:36 PM
o ok thats fine im not a mod anywhere but ive seen people say try this try that and some i just decide to pop in and say dont do that its dumb
sorry if i snapped

No worries, just wanted to clear it up so i didn't think it was directed at you or anyone else. Its always good to at least through a warning out, that way they know the risk. I am glad i am not the only one who believes in that.

Im only a mod on one, and that's because my 4x4 group split into 2 different groups and they need volunteers for help.

That might be totally safe and work, its just not something i have ever heard of, and i know a fair amount about hydraulics from work, so it doesn't seem to sit right with me. That and the fact that there are so many types of ATF and Brake Fluid that it seems even more sketch unless there are real details. It could just be me being paranoid too. I hope you get your problems sorted out, and when you do let us know what you did, and how it all worked.

Ill give my friend a buzz and see what he has to say. Him and his Dad run a transmission shop.

Carolina Boostin
01-04-2012, 07:56 PM
No worries, just wanted to clear it up so i didn't think it was directed at you or anyone else. Its always good to at least through a warning out, that way they know the risk. I am glad i am not the only one who believes in that.

Im only a mod on one, and that's because my 4x4 group split into 2 different groups and they need volunteers for help.

That might be totally safe and work, its just not something i have ever heard of, and i know a fair amount about hydraulics from work, so it doesn't seem to sit right with me. That and the fact that there are so many types of ATF and Brake Fluid that it seems even more sketch unless there are real details. It could just be me being paranoid too. I hope you get your problems sorted out, and when you do let us know what you did, and how it all worked.

Ill give my friend a buzz and see what he has to say. Him and his Dad run a transmission shop.
thanks agin man

rangerwheelinmike
01-04-2012, 11:25 PM

i have done it to a few trannys and one was the stock tranny on my 3.0 in the ranger it would shift so hard in to secend gear it would bark the tires ford told me to do that so i did and it cleared it right up as far as the low flash point your olny puting 1 cup full in it so it wont do anything i bet i have had the tranny in my ranger hoter then any one elce lol i towed a 6000lb truck on a 2000lb trailer behind it everyweekend and have pics to prove it haha

Fordguy77
01-05-2012, 12:32 AM
i have done it to a few trannys and one was the stock tranny on my 3.0 in the ranger it would shift so hard in to secend gear it would bark the tires ford told me to do that so i did and it cleared it right up as far as the low flash point your olny puting 1 cup full in it so it wont do anything i bet i have had the tranny in my ranger hoter then any one elce lol i towed a 6000lb truck on a 2000lb trailer behind it everyweekend and have pics to prove it haha

Which ATF are you running? There are several different kinds. Which DOT grade brake fluid did you use? What kinda of elevation are you at? Those are all factors that played into what i suggested. Im glad you can tow more than the recommend safe amount for a Ranger with the 3.0L and an automatic. I dont doubt you. Ive used my 91 Ranger With the 4.0L to flat tow a 75 F250 home from Steamboat Springs to Denver 156 miles through mountain passed. Which i personally feel is more than a ranger can safely pull.
I didn't say it wouldn't or couldn't work, i just said it could be dangerous. In Colorado we have issues with people using wrong grade DOT brake fluids and actually loosing there brakes coming down passes, simply because the fluid in the master cylinder decided to boil at 60 degrees and 12k feet. So there are other factors than it simply works so just do it. These are just my 2 cents. Ill remove myself from this convo now, as i feel its no longer going in a constructive direction.

rangerwheelinmike
01-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Which ATF are you running? There are several different kinds. Which DOT grade brake fluid did you use? What kinda of elevation are you at? Those are all factors that played into what i suggested. Im glad you can tow more than the recommend safe amount for a Ranger with the 3.0L and an automatic. I dont doubt you. Ive used my 91 Ranger With the 4.0L to flat tow a 75 F250 home from Steamboat Springs to Denver 156 miles through mountain passed. Which i personally feel is more than a ranger can safely pull.
I didn't say it wouldn't or couldn't work, i just said it could be dangerous. In Colorado we have issues with people using wrong grade DOT brake fluids and actually loosing there brakes coming down passes, simply because the fluid in the master cylinder decided to boil at 60 degrees and 12k feet. So there are other factors than it simply works so just do it. These are just my 2 cents. Ill remove myself from this convo now, as i feel its no longer going in a constructive direction.
oh im not trying to start anything with you i understand what your saying just saying what ford told my years ago annd it worked for me and i beat that tranny to death i mud bog it so that says it all lol put tranny temp guage in it and i seen temps over 280 lol it never failed on me. now my new tranny i built for my 5.0 witch i have a lot of money in it. (4r70w) if it started acting up i would put brake flued in it to and wouldent think twice abought it..may not work for others? not sure they just told me the brake flued would clean up gunk in the valve body witch couses stuck valves