PDA

View Full Version : hello my 94 f150 4.9 runs rich help me out please...

unitedpallets
05-10-2012, 10:21 AM
I have a 94 f150 4.9 inline 6 and I accidentally put diesel on the truck. The diesel has been dilitued . But the truck is still running rich. The truck was also knocking so I pulled the valve cover and a pushrodwas loose. So I loosened up all of the rocker arms. Now I dont know how to adjust the pushrods again. Now the truck ticks when I shut it off. I puuled the codes and I get a "173" code which indicates the truck is running rich. And I get a" 117 "code for ect sensor. I replaced thermostat,waterpump,ect sensor,fan clutch. Still getting 117 code.
I replaced spark plus,wires,cap,rotor,map,egr,tp sensor,o2 sensor,injectors,harness.
Also I tried adjusting the valves and do I adjust them at compression stroke or at tdc? Because I adjusted them at compression stroke and truck runs strong but the harmonic balancer is at 10" . Also when I move the crankshaft the distributor movea on the #1 spark pluG but the #6 valve moves instead of the #1 valve in 1st cylinder.i provided all tje informAtion I could. I have basic mechanical knowledge so please help me identify the issue. Any information would be appreciated thanks again for reading

Carolina Boostin
05-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Mechanic time lol

unitedpallets
05-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I am most concerned right now on the valve adjustment right now to be honest. The truck has a rebuilt engine. I was just being explicit on how everything happened....help?

BFEB
05-10-2012, 11:04 AM
I believe you need to adjust the valves with #1 at TDC then time from there

unitedpallets
05-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Ok but do I adjust all of the valves on tdc for every cylinder? And the valves dont move when I turn the crankshaft. For example, if I put the #1 cylinder on tdc. And the distributor points in the #1 spark plug wire.the valves on #6 cylinder move and the valves on #1 cylinder do not move . My question is wich valves do I adjust? #1 or #6 cylinder?. Or is the crankshaft off 180 deg. The haynes manual says to put the #1 cylinder at end of commpression stroke is that the same as tdc?

BFEB
05-10-2012, 02:21 PM
I believe so. Following the firing order. Needs to be TDC of the compression stroke so the valves should be seated while adjusting.

unitedpallets
05-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Does the valve adjustment have an impact on mpg? I am getting 6 mpg could that be from the valves not being adjusted properly?

BFEB
05-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Sure could. Might be throwing too much fuel into the cylinder and not getting a complete burn which in turn just wastes that fuel out the exhaust.

Cody.kopp
07-26-2012, 05:50 PM
The intake values have to adjusted at tdc of each cyclender and yes it would cause to much fuel to be used. my 87 with 35's and a 4 speed gets 10.5 mpg

----------

Intake values are closed at tdc and fully open when ex. Values close