PDA

View Full Version : 5.4L Triton V8 Spark plug removal with Lisle tool.

2004XLT5.4LTritonV84X4
05-08-2012, 11:55 PM
I changed the spark plugs in my 2004 5.4L Triton V8 F-150 in late February, I had 5 of the eight break off....it was suggested/requested that I put up a "how to" on the forum for others. So here's my attempt.....:cool:
I used the Lisle tool for this. It is a very well made tool (Made in USA as well, which is very important to me. I try to always get USA made everything that I can!) and does the job well. I think I got mine for about $85 from my local Car-Quest, but they list for more ($100-$120??) I get a nice discount from them because I and my family spend a bunch there/have bought from them for years.
Here's one of the holes with the left over broken portion in it.
The most common way it broke off for me...all but one did this. Basically what happens is that the outer portion is crimped on...and when the base of the spark plug (seventh picture) stays in the head, this portion comes off.
This is what one of mine did....it saved me the easy step of having to break off the ceramic by tapping on it, but this is the only spark plug that I couldn't get the threaded portion of the tool to catch well either.
Some of my tools of choice....I used the long skinny grabber to pull the piece of ceramic from the plug that I had broken off out of the hole.
This picture shows the aluminum part of the tool that protects the head. It is also what the puller pushes on as we see in the next picture.
The puller all put together and about to be used....I don't have a picture of the other portion of the tool (the part that pushes the ceramic into the end of the spark plug so that the puller can grip the metal) but it is really very self explanatory to use...all of the parts of this tool are.
This is the reason it sticks in the head....rust...nasty stuff. Change yours at 75,xxx or less and you are a lot less likely to have 5 break off! I would've but I bought mine with 117,035 on it!
Another picture of the puller still screwed into the spark plug piece. Note-it is reverse thread on this part of the puller!
My plugs that I was about to put in....I chose to go with the original Motorcraft ones....I was pretty mad that they're made in Mexico though...found that out after I'd bought them.
They took me about 5-10 minutes a piece to pull. The only one that took me longer was the one that I couldn't get the tool to catch because the ceramic broke off with the top portion of the plug and had too much sticking out.

Well I hope that helps! Sorry I don't have more pictures...maybe I'll get a few more up sometime. Feel free to ask any questions that you might have...i'll try to answer them as best I can. I'm not on a ton....been really busy, so it may take me a while to get back...but hopefully others will give their two cents worth as well! Again, Good Luck!!