PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Air Filter Advice

Santini
05-06-2012, 01:47 PM
I intend to install a high-flow cold air intake filter system in my truck. I've used K&N filters for years in my Harleys and other vehicles, but although K&N makes a replacement filter element for the stock filter, they don't make the type of unit I'm looking for. Instead I'm considering an aFe Power stage 1 intake system designed specifically for the 2012 EcoBoost engine.

For reference, it's part number 75-12111 at afepower.com

The device replaces some of the stock ducting and offers a choice of three filter elements, a 3-layer dry filter, and either a 5- or 7-layer oiled filter.

Obviously, the more layers of oiled filter media means more protection for the engine. But at what cost? The more media to scrub the air, the less the air flow through the filter. The whole reason for installing a "high-flow" filter in the first place is to increase the efficiency of the engine. That is, more power at a given fuel flow.

So, my question is, which filter should I choose to balance protection and efficiency when using the truck for normal or average driving conditions?

Raptor05121
05-06-2012, 01:56 PM
First off, your stock filter will flow more CFMs than the engine can gob down. Secondly, air filters meet a standard. That is, they all have the same requirements. Those "extra efficient" with more filtering layers or super-flowing media-types are just marketing hypes. The power gains you get are because the stock tube has a silencer that slows down the air charge and several bends. The filter itself has nothing to do with performance. I have a K&N (oiled) but if I had to do it again, I'd get a dry-air filter. They both filter to the same standards. The fact that I have to buy oil and clean the sucker is my teetering point.

The EB has several complete CAI kits. Injen boasts a 15 rwhp gain, and that model is built specifically for the EB. Go search around a bit before you decide to buy. But in the end- they all do the same job.

BFEB
05-06-2012, 04:10 PM
You should go with the AFR stg. 2. It looks sweet and is very functional.

I'd get it if they fit the '11s

Santini
05-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks, guys. That's why I asked first. I'll definitely do more research before I install any mod.

Carolina Boostin
05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Check out volant ive heard good things on them
Check out GEARS stacey david did a eco boost upgrade

BFEB
05-06-2012, 09:04 PM
I've talked to the guy who had his truck done on gearz on another forum and he said there were impressive gains, but only with everything they added(intake, exhaust, tuner). Had no clue how they did individually.

And last I knew he had it all for sale. Didn't ask the reason.