PDA

View Full Version : restore headlights

booneboy02
05-05-2012, 11:04 AM
How can I restore a cloudy or yellow color headlight, I've heard those kits don't work too well

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using F150 App
2003 F150 XL 4.2 V6
no mods :'(

Carolina Boostin
05-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Toothpaste and hard work

Raptor05121
05-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Toothpaste won't do it. The product you need has to contain some sort of petroleum distillates mixed with a chlorine-based dilution. The product itself will remove the discoloration, but you have to get access to it first. You want to soak a headlight with water and get 100-grit sandpaper and wet-sand from side to side (horizontally) ONLY. Do this a couple of times to remove most of the oxidation. Then get 300-600 grit and wet-sand up and down (vertically) ONLY. Then you need a buffing wheel and high-speed drill. Apply some plastic cleaner (such as Meguiars Plast-X) to the headlight and buff the headlight for several minutes at varying speeds. Quickly rinse off the headlight, then apply some headlight protector or sealer/polish to finish it all up.

This process is a good temporary solution. It will last from 6 months to a year before the hazing will return. There are only a few times you can sand the headlight before it gets destroyed so eventually your best bet is to buy a set of headlights. That's the con of plastic lenses. You can further prevent oxidation by keeping your truck out of the sun. Shelter is great. Avoid hard chemicals such as degreaser or dish soap when washing the truck.

biredale
06-26-2012, 11:10 AM
I have successfully used one of those kits on my wife's car..

Thanks!

Brian