PDA

View Full Version : hesitation!

rangerwheelinmike
03-18-2012, 12:10 AM
when i take off and trucks not wormed up if i put it half way to the floor it hesitats real bad and if you dont let back off the gas the check engine light will start to blink then after a min it will go off if you check the codes when the lights blinking it has a code for cly 3 miss fire. also has a hesitation when its wormed up and you floor it from a stop but the light dont blink? could it need plugs? or could it be something elce? i also olny get abought 12mpg driveing easy

bigred5.4l
03-26-2012, 02:21 AM
Miss firing can also be bad timing. Changing spark plugs will be very time consuming. Just get a mechanic to look over it

rangerwheelinmike
03-27-2012, 12:36 AM
it is fine if you drive easy but today i was geting on the eway and there was a line of cars comeing so i floored it it goes but the check engine light started blinking and the truck would shake for abought a min then the light went off and it was fine.. by the way my truck has 206k miles on it other then that it runs and drives like its new i have no idea when the plugs and fuel filter and stuff like that was changed i got it with 180,000 some on it

codwel09
04-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I have the same problem sometimes an other times it runs like a dream and mine did that with 60000 miles on it. Let me know what you figure out, I'm still working on finding a solution too, so of I find anything before ya I'll let ya know. Thanks!

Silver 2005 XLT SuperCrew 5.4L 5.5' bed

rangerwheelinmike
04-10-2012, 11:59 PM
i really havent messed with it it olny does it if its cold or i floor it geting on the eway and it revs out i think cly 3 coil pack could be bad gunna swap it with another cly and see if it changes if so ill replace it might be better on gas to

Ray
04-15-2012, 08:15 PM
It could be as stroke as a tune up but I like your theory mine has about the same miles on it and it started missing and hesitating so I changed all the plugs and coil s runs like a dream now and getting about 20 MPG on the high way

----------

Easy my bad not stroke

codwel09
08-24-2012, 10:29 AM
I have about 101k on my 05 and it does the same thing when I get on it, but only at about 3-4k rpm. It threw a cyl 4 misfire code. I swapped the coil, no light then but it still had the problem. Changed the spark plug and problem still existing. Haven't changed the coils and plugs but I would say its time for a tune up. That what I'm gonna do to mine.
I'll try that and respond back to the thread as soon as I get it taken care of.
If anyone else has done that post on the thread and let us know any differences!

Jersey_Joe
08-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Sounds like u should change ur coil pack on cyl 3. And throw some motorcraft plugs in it. It's a Comon prob. Coils should b changed from 80-100k. Any hesitation that u have should b gone after that. And with normal driving and a good airfilter and exhaust u should get a solid 15mpg. I'm getting 20-21 in my 03. Lots of mods and a good tune got me that. But just sayin. I think coil pack and a set of plugs will wake her right up

----------

Codwel09 do u have a three valve motor? 05 right? My buddy's truck did the same thing we changed them all. All the coils and plugs. Sometimes the other cylinders r ready fer could too. They r just not that bad to we're they r throwing codes yet. That's what I've learned in this case anyway. Hope I was some help fellas. Leme know how u make out

----------

Change not could. Damn iohone

----------

Phone. See...

kozal01
08-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Mike I would swap that COP from cyl 3 to another cyl. If the missfire moves to that one than youll know its the coil. If it doesnt change I would consider changing plugs.

codwel09
08-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Sounds like u should change ur coil pack on cyl 3. And throw some motorcraft plugs in it. It's a Comon prob. Coils should b changed from 80-100k. Any hesitation that u have should b gone after that. And with normal driving and a good airfilter and exhaust u should get a solid 15mpg. I'm getting 20-21 in my 03. Lots of mods and a good tune got me that. But just sayin. I think coil pack and a set of plugs will wake her right up

----------

Codwel09 do u have a three valve motor? 05 right? My buddy's truck did the same thing we changed them all. All the coils and plugs. Sometimes the other cylinders r ready fer could too. They r just not that bad to we're they r throwing codes yet. That's what I've learned in this case anyway. Hope I was some help fellas. Leme know how u make out

----------

Change not could. Damn iohone

----------

Phone. See...

Ditto kozal.

And yea 3valve 05.
I'll see if I can't get that taken care of soon and repost on results

Raptor05121
08-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Mike I would swap that COP from cyl 3 to another cyl. If the missfire moves to that one than youll know its the coil. If it doesnt change I would consider changing plugs.

this. Never throw money at a problem. Troubleshoot and identify the problem, don't guess.

codwel09
08-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Well said. I'm in agreeance.

Jersey_Joe
08-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Def swap the coil. They r def right. I just think from my experience with my truck. That's a great place to start. I'd bet my $ that's what it is. If not? There r plenty of other options. But good luck. Here if u need anything.