PDA

View Full Version : new toy

SkyPirate
03-08-2012, 12:27 AM
what do ya'll think of a minnie pontoon boat with built in trailer wheels and retractable hitch?

the wheels retract with a flip of a switch..the hitch retracts manually,..pull a release lever and it slides right up under the deck out of the way,..the boat weighs 300 lbs with a 4 hp Johnson on the stern and a 50 lb foot controlled trolling motor on the bow,..2 marine batteries in the centrally located dog box runs the retract gear and trolling motor.
Here in Missouri ,..when I took it to the state to get it inspected/registered,..I only had to register it as a boat,..not a trailer too,..so no trailer tags needed,..no state tax on trailer,..no personal tax on trailer. the boat does have LED road running lights and LED marine marker lights,..
during road testing of the design ,..I towed this boat at speeds excess of 100 mph,..no "floating" or "fish tailing" she tows like a dream,..tracks true on corners,..no side slide or drifting or wheel lift,..
once after the testing that I could control was finished,..the boat was " deer" tested at 55 mph,..a 6 pt buck tried to run between my truck and the boat ,..he hit the starboard pontoon,..which pushed him down and the boat up,..6 foot into the air,..the boat landed on it's wheels still hooked to the truck,..the only evidence was the incriminating brown streak down the starboard pontoon and some deer hair stuck to the suspension of the boat/trailer,..no damage..boat is made of 5052 and 6061 T-6 aluminum,..trailering suspension is made from 4130 annealed chrome moly tubing (aircraft tubing) the pontoons are based after aircraft floats with exception,..there is no step for seperation'

dimensions 12 foot long 6 foot 10 inch wide with 10 foot long by 5 foot 10 inch wide deck, very stable ,..a good gigging platform,..has potential for duck blind