PDA

View Full Version : Strange smell

stickjumper
02-19-2012, 09:53 AM
I have a 2000 ford f150 I just recently purchased. Every time I use the heater or the A/C there is a strange odor. Any ideas on how to get rid of the odor? Any help would be great, thanks.

BURNSY
02-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Does it have a cab air filter?

stickjumper
02-20-2012, 11:33 AM
I checked but it doesn't have a cabin air filter

2004XLT5.4LTritonV84X4
02-20-2012, 12:08 PM
What kind of smell is it? Like petroleum products, musty, anti-freeze, or???????

stickjumper
02-20-2012, 12:26 PM
My wife says in smells like propane. It just smells musty to me.

stickjumper
02-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Any ideas?

2004XLT5.4LTritonV84X4
02-23-2012, 01:30 AM
Hmmmm, sorry I forgot about this one......well mine had a nasty car cleaner in it when I got it a month and a half ago, I can't really smell it anymore, but every time my Mom is around it I know she smells it lol.
If it's a musty smell, it could be from the carpet getting wet at some point and never getting clear dried out....even the spray in cleaner that some dealers use (mine did) can leave stuff wet.....I know when I pulled up my Husky liners to clean underneath on Saturday, the liners had only been in for about a week and the passenger side had a small wet spot underneath in the middle of the liner so it is currently in the back seat sitting so the front can dry out.....
It could also be something that you had in it that left the smell. We had some flooding and I was hauling sandbags with it, and either just from whatever we tracked in or I think actually it was my raingear, that for a little bit after that it smelled REALLY bad...but it cleared up a day or so after I pulled my raingear out.........coulda been something like that was left in for too long lol I don't know man, let me know what you figure out.....a GOOD cleaning may be in order:D

----------

Lol I just re read you firs post and realized that it was about a HEATER smell lol....:) idk man, it could be a leaky heater core......

stickjumper
02-24-2012, 10:54 PM
The carpet on the passenger side stays damp also. I've shampooed it and dried it three times. But after a short time period it's damp again. I pulled the carpet back and it's dry on the bottom. And the heater core is not leaking. It is only where your feet sit on the passenger side. And it has a musty odor as well. But there is a smell coming from the vents somewhere also.

fx4150
02-25-2012, 11:03 AM
I've had the same problem it's the ac condenser drain it gets clogged.

BURNSY
02-25-2012, 11:13 AM
I've had the same problem it's the ac condenser drain it gets clogged.

Agreed ... that is where I would look. I had that happen to me as well.

stickjumper
02-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Do you know where the drain comes out of the firewall?

BURNSY
02-26-2012, 07:59 AM
It should be on the passenger side, somewhere behind the glove box area.

Dreno73
05-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Spilled milk can do a number on a vehicles carpets! Gives it a nice vomit smell for the life of your truck. I looked at it as no one wanted to drive my truck so I had it all to myself!