PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive

Bothe
02-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Could anyone tell me when I should turn off the overdrive? I see my dad turn his off when he goes down hills with his Powerstroke, but he tells me i dont need to mess with it on my truck. I really dont even know what it does. he didnt do a very good job of explaining it haha

Fordguy77
02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
What overdrive essentially is gear ratio that allows your motor to spin at a less than 1:1 ratio to the axle. Which allows lower rpm at higher speeds and increased fuel economy.
I imagine the reason he switchs his overdrive off while going down hill, is because he wants to ease the work on his breaks and allow his engine to do the "breaking".
Its the same concept to some extent to when you down shift in a manual to slow down.

Fordguy77
02-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Personally from my experience the only time I've seen people turn off overdrive is when they are going up hills(mountain passes typically, guess it depends on location and opinions) and don't want to over work the transmission by having it keep up and down shifting, or when there off roading and want to keep the rpm up and in a constant gear instead of that constant switch. Also I've seen it a few times in certain circumstances turned off for brief moments while towing a load. However that's what I have witnessed.

Bothe
02-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Thank you for the info! That actually does make sense because he usually turns it off at the top of the decline and when it starts it go back up is when he puts it back on. We have a little of mini valley's which is mainly what he does it on

Raptor05121
02-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Well if you know what you're doing, you can be selective like that but generall if you turn it off, you should leave it off. It stops the transmission from "hunting" (IE shifting up and down constantly). I use this (Ford renamed it Tow/Haul mode in the early 2000s) on my F-550 Fire Truck. 20K pounds of fire apparatus is a lot to get going and it automatically downshifts when I get hard on the brakes (intersection, turning, etc). Its a nice feature.

kokeshx4
02-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Ur suppose to use it wen ur haulin or towing anything. It saves the tranny wen u pass or speed up loaded. If u would do tht with the od on it would eventually cause the truck to buck and transmission fail.

JCooper
02-21-2012, 06:26 PM
I usually turn my overdrive OFF when driving around town. It keeps my truck with its 35" tires from shifting in and out of overdrive constantly at speeds of 40-45 mph which isnt good for a trans. I will turn it back on when getting onto the highway, however. Not a bad habit to get into if you typically drive those types of incline/ decline, upshift/ downshift types of roads.

My previous truck was a F350 power stroke. It had the tow/ haul mode which does MUCH more. It alters the shift pressures and optimizes shifting while towing... but does not "lock out" overdrive. It will only shift into overdrive when it senses a low enough trans pressure and a high enough speed so that it won't need to quickly downshift again. I think it works great. While towing a heavy trailer, it shifts almost exactly as I would if it were a standard.

kokeshx4
02-21-2012, 08:56 PM
JCooper I understand with the bigger tires tht u would do tht. Cuz urs shifts differently then a standard size tire would. But wouldn't u b able to leav it on n just keep the rpms high enough to keep it from shifting in and out of overdrive?

Raptor05121
02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
I usually turn my overdrive OFF when driving around town. It keeps my truck with its 35" tires from shifting in and out of overdrive constantly at speeds of 40-45 mph which isnt good for a trans.

OD doesnt kick in until freeway speeds (IE: 4th gear). having it off going around town isnt doing anything

JCooper
02-22-2012, 06:26 AM
OD doesnt kick in until freeway speeds (IE: 4th gear). having it off going around town isnt doing anything

Overdrive will kick in at speeds as low as 40mph or so if engine/ trans load is low enough. But thanks for trying.

----------

JCooper I understand with the bigger tires tht u would do tht. Cuz urs shifts differently then a standard size tire would. But wouldn't u b able to leav it on n just keep the rpms high enough to keep it from shifting in and out of overdrive?

You are talking about an automatic trans, right? Keeping the rpms up would mean accelerating more.... but then it would upshift anyway. The answer is no.

Raptor05121
02-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Overdrive will kick in at speeds as low as 40mph or so if engine/ trans load is low enough. But thanks for trying.

"If" being the key word here. 90% of the time its not going to happen in the city. What you are feeling is the converter locking and unlocking which you are correct is not good for it but thats just a sign you need to regear it.

JCooper
02-22-2012, 08:03 PM
"If" being the key word here. 90% of the time its not going to happen in the city. What you are feeling is the converter locking and unlocking which you are correct is not good for it but thats just a sign you need to regear it.

Ok.... You, as well, are correct. But I think you may have taken my words too literally. By saying "while driving around town" I was actually referring to any driving other than highway driving. The roads I drive to work and back everyday have speed limits of 40-45mph and several inclines, declines, and curves. My current truck especially, but also the several others I've owned will shift in and out of overdrive many times in certain areas of these roads. Im not being fooled by the torque conv., it's shifting. To overcome this, I will typically turn the overdrive off. I realize that doing this while literally driving in a city is pointless. Anyone who doesn't shouldn't be pushing any buttons in a truck at all.

I was originally hoping to shed some additional light on the original question that was posted, but have now found myself in a pointless tennis match debate. So please stop attempting to discredit other users' posts that you may misinterpret.... especially mine because I got all god damn day.