PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump vs Cat converter. Help!

gangus
07-12-2013, 02:02 PM
The truck:

1992 F150 Reg cab, Long bed, Straight six motor, manual trans. Dual gas tanks, 210,000 miles

The issue:

Ongoing the past year, poor power performance. It gets worse in warmer temperatures and worse the warmer the motor gets. The odd thing is that when it gets really bad and the motor has nearly stopped running, if I switch fuel tanks the problem immediately diminishes and then gets steadily worse until I switch tanks again.

What I've done thus far:

New cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, EGR, EGR solenoid, O2 sensor, fuel injectors.

Dealership and indy mechanics say codes have indicated a fuel flow problem thus the replacement of injectors. This was the latest thing done and did not solve the issue.

I have a limited budget and this is making me nuts. I think maybe the cat converter is bad (it looks like its the original), but the switching fuel tanks thing makes me think it's not the cat. I'm thinking fuel pump but then why would temp affect that?

ARGHHHHHHHH!

lee reece
07-13-2013, 08:33 PM
The truck:

1992 F150 Reg cab, Long bed, Straight six motor, manual trans. Dual gas tanks, 210,000 miles

The issue:

Ongoing the past year, poor power performance. It gets worse in warmer temperatures and worse the warmer the motor gets. The odd thing is that when it gets really bad and the motor has nearly stopped running, if I switch fuel tanks the problem immediately diminishes and then gets steadily worse until I switch tanks again.

What I've done thus far:

New cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, EGR, EGR solenoid, O2 sensor, fuel injectors.

Dealership and indy mechanics say codes have indicated a fuel flow problem thus the replacement of injectors. This was the latest thing done and did not solve the issue.

I have a limited budget and this is making me nuts. I think maybe the cat converter is bad (it looks like its the original), but the switching fuel tanks thing makes me think it's not the cat. I'm thinking fuel pump but then why would temp affect that?

ARGHHHHHHHH!

If ur fuel pressure is good then not the pump!

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

Jersey_Joe
07-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Is it just boggin out? U gota give it more gas to stay running? Does it bog then too? If so u have air prob your getting to much or not enough. Check all vac lines yet?

----------

But ^^^^ agreed. Doesn't sound like the fuel pump. Fuel pump bad. U get no fuel. Caputzs! Lol

gangus
07-14-2013, 06:12 PM
If ur fuel pressure is good then not the pump!

Thanks, Lee. I'm leaning toward the cat or perhaps some sort of vacuum issue. I'll post when ( and if) I get it sorted out. :-)

----------

Is it just boggin out? U gota give it more gas to stay running? Does it bog then too? If so u have air prob your getting to much or not enough. Check all vac lines yet?

----------

But ^^^^ agreed. Doesn't sound like the fuel pump. Fuel pump bad. U get no fuel. Caputzs! Lol

Hey Joe, thanks for the input. Yep, when it gets hot, super bogs. At best I can get it to move within a very narrow rpm band in each gear, and that
s by feathering the throttle. But, if it gets hot enough (like being stuck in traffic) then it bogs no matter what I do to the throttle and it ultimately dies...

lee reece
07-16-2013, 08:39 PM
George if its getting hot in traffic look at ur fan clutch if not check radiator for build up inside! May not transfer heat like it should ? Sounds like its getting hot and losing power! Let us no what you find :)

5.0Flareside
07-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Unbolt the exhaust from the manifolds and drive around open manifolds, that'll show if you have a clogged cat.

Check fuel pressure at the fuel rail at idle cold and when warmed up.

These 2 things are where I'd start.

I'm gonna guess cat is clogged

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

gangus
07-17-2013, 05:01 PM
George if its getting hot in traffic look at ur fan clutch if not check radiator for build up inside! May not transfer heat like it should ? Sounds like its getting hot and losing power! Let us no what you find :)

Hey, Thanks, Lee. I'll have a look but the engine temp stays within normal limits ( if the temp gauge van be trusted) I'll keep you updated and thanks again for the help

George

----------

Unbolt the exhaust from the manifolds and drive around open manifolds, that'll show if you have a clogged cat.

Check fuel pressure at the fuel rail at idle cold and when warmed up.

These 2 things are where I'd start.

I'm gonna guess cat is clogged

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

Thanks 5.0

I'm going to try and give that a shot. I'll let you know what happens.

George