PDA

View Full Version : Help!! new to this forum

FX4hp1439
07-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Hi ... I'm in a bit of a pickle here folks... I'm sure some of you techs know exactly what my problem may be... My name is Roberto ....I own a copy of "the" 5.4!!!... I believe I'm having a timing or phaser issue!!!! Though I'm not an experienced mechanic, I am mechanically inclined and have studied, and understood this 3v modular engine. I fully understand the precautions and practice of most procedures when fooling around the VCT. So in obtaining this information I relate it to a strange issue I am having!!! I purchased this truck used 2 years ago, lifted, K&N filter !!! Everything was running fine... Then I met.....oh lets call her....Mrs Chetforbrains...My money went to her...and I deprived my truck of care and attention, i became Mr. Chetforbrains....then I pulled my head out her asz and I had money again!!!! Yay!!!!....moving forward....when I (finally ) changed the oil..I added a small amount of SEAFOAM to the oil... ran about 150 miles changed with Mobil 1 5w20 oil & filter.. I notice an oil leak coming from the filter and replaced the oil filter adapter housing gasket ...problem solved...Now out of no where...... I'm leaking water from the passenger side of engine ... and there is a loud "rattle" coming from the front as If maybe the timing chain was loose and rubbing on something or a tensioner is loose...so I hook up the actron... and here is what that son of a hitch said to me......
P0446
P0453
P2106
P0304
P2104
P2111
So with that being said..... I know that the best way to get down to the problem would be to remove the timing cover...And that I'm more than likely looking at replacing the throttle body ...and I believe the head gasket....in my opinion....!!!! So I ask of thee.....what is your opinion??? I'm open to the best suggestion.....I've been thinking of taking it over to the dealer for a diagnosis and actually have them do the work...but the mistrust of "stealerships" is there...not to mention they want to take the ol' arm and leg...but I honestly do not know of any dependable techs out here and I do not own the special tools required for the procedure... so what would you do???
And if I have to do the job my self, where can I find step by step directions...and for the love of god where can I find a good deal on a motorcraft timing kit....the dealership sells it by the piece only !!! Should I go with cheap Dorman phasers or stay strictly with motorcraft???? I've seen timing kits by different brands and reviews are few and unreliable !!! Where can I get a deal on a throttle body and does it "have" to be flashed by the dealer??? Any thoughts or opinions??

Jersey_Joe
07-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Well. Honestly. That seafoam stuff. Hurts way more than people think. If your leaking water? Start tightening hose clamps. Head gasket. Do u have a mixture of oil and antifreeze?

----------

And I think the p2 codes r coils. Is it running very ruff?

----------

Just an FYI bro. 5.4's r notorious for blowing coil packs. I'm not a fan lol. If u have multiple coil misfires. It will def make it run really jerky and goofy Now. This is only my opinion. Seafoam can ruin sensors. Like a cam sensor or your block sensor. Keep in mind there are far better products on the market that have been tested high hp motors from race cars to race trucks. If your looking to clean inside the engine. Your best bet is to use Zmax. It has lincit in it. The only petroleum to my knowledge that penetrates metal. Seafoam is like stiking a mothball in your engine. And it's a water based product. And we all know that water is not combustible so my freind. Keep seafoam out of your oil. Check ur codes. Google is your freind. They may b could and other random crap that just goes cause it's ready. Good luck and leme know how u make out

FX4hp1439
07-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts and opinion!!!! I haven't done anything yet because it's my daily driver, but I will probably give him 100% pure attention this weekend!!! Now I noticed that nobody commented on the"rattling" noise ...... to be more specific with this area, there is no sound when the engine is cranked! There is no indication when shifting through all the gears, it's when I emit pressure to the gas pedal to obtain forward bite, or torque to make the truck start moving forward that the rattle begins !!! If I over rev the engine....(stomp on gas) the sound goes away, or if I let off the gas when the sound s present,it goes away, it doesn't happen when in park and the engine revd up!!! I reapeat, doesn't happen on start up, notwhile driving in 1st gear, or second....it starts around 35/40 mph and has done up at 80 mph, and again it ONLY. OCCURS WHEN THE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED DOWN SOFT ENOUGH TO OBTAIN FORWARD BITE !!!!! It is a loud rattle sound, the engine starts shaking and sounds sluggish, as if maybe a timing chain tensioner is loose or shot !!!!! Any thoughts or opinions????