PDA

View Full Version : Trailer breaks

joshpickworth
07-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Does anyone one know what'd it'd take to hook up the thing for trailer brakes and what would it cost?

pockets
07-03-2013, 01:43 PM
It would be a trailer wiring harness and I'm not sure the cost.

kozal01
07-03-2013, 01:43 PM
You have the trailer tow package on your truck? Go and look and see if you have the round 7 pin plug along side the 4 pin plug next to the hitch. If you do than your truck is pre-wired for trailer brakes. At that point you will need a brake controller and pigtail, the pigtail plugs into a harness under your dash. You will also need to install the relay for the trailer battery charging circuit in the kick panel fuse box. If youre truck isnt pre-wired than you will have to run all the wires from the brake controller back to the plug.

joshpickworth
07-04-2013, 12:17 PM

joshpickworth
07-04-2013, 12:18 PM
That's what I got, and what's the trailer battery relay?

kozal01
07-04-2013, 01:15 PM

That's what I got, and what's the trailer battery relay?

Ok so you have the seven pin plug so you should be pre-wired. The relay supplies power to the plug for trailers that have a battery system, like a camper. When the truck is running the relay sends power to the trailer plug to charge the trailer's batteries if equipped. Ford does not install this relay from the factory, if your lucky the relay and brake controller pigtail will be in a bag in your glovebox, thats how it would have come brand new off the lot. I was not that lucky when I installed the controller in my truck so I had to by the relay, pigtail as well as the controller. Its really easy to install though.

----------

These are the items you will need

Brake controller
http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/TK90160.html

Pigtail
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Tekonsha/3035-P.html

And then a relay, cant remember exactly what type, its the same as the other relays in the panel. (if your trailer doesnt have a battery the relay is not needed)

Greger
07-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Damn I thought my rv experience was gonna come in handy but this guy has got you covered!

Jersey_Joe
07-05-2013, 06:38 AM
Damn I thought my rv experience was gonna come in handy but this guy has got you covered!

Yup. Pat has that effect on people. Lol. He's the man lol

chuck9997
07-09-2013, 02:02 PM
I had a PRODIGY 2 brake controller in my old truck.. worked fine. With the new FORD (2013 STX).. I had the dealer install the FORD brake controller.. looks good in the dash. It also adds some readings, like gain and "trailer connected", etc to your digital readout above the steering wheel. The controller, plus labor, plus tax.. about $319.