PDA

View Full Version : Beds

waylongoss101
06-26-2013, 10:14 PM
I have a 2006 f150 fx4 off road and it has the five foot bed but I want a six foot bed so could I just buy a six foot and just put it on there. And it world fit??

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

Raptor05121
06-26-2013, 10:37 PM
I dont think so. Apart from the bolt locations most likely being different proportions, the back would stick out past the bumper. You can stretch the frame and do it, and there is a company in Texas I believe that specializes in it, too.

RhinoZ24
06-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Frame would be too short and the wheel wells wouldn't line up because you have a shorter wheel base with the 5.5 bed as compared to the 6.5 bed.

waylongoss101
06-29-2013, 06:28 PM
What is the name of the company in texas??

waylongoss101
11-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I dont think so. Apart from the bolt locations most likely being different proportions, the back would stick out past the bumper. You can stretch the frame and do it, and there is a company in Texas I believe that specializes in it, too.

What is the name of the company in Texas?

Raptor05121
11-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Google.com

Any basic frame or upfitter shop can do a frame extension.

----------

Google.com

RhinoZ24
11-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Google.com

----------

Google.com

Keep in mind though this will weaken your frame's strength.

Jersey_Joe
11-07-2013, 05:19 AM
Not if done right it won't lol

lee reece
11-07-2013, 09:45 AM
X2 Joe

2007 F150 XLT FX2 SPORT - 5.4l 3V 3.73 LIMITED SLIP EDGE/EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER

RhinoZ24
11-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Not if done right it won't lol

If done right it won't weaken it significantly, but it still weakens it. Ever play with silly putty back in the day Joe? Same concept, you're taking a certain amount of material and stretching it farther. Eventually, just like silly putty, after a certain extent it loses it's strength. Going from the 5.5 bed to the 6.5 bed on a Supercrew takes your wheel base from 145" to 154". While 9 inches doesn't seem like a lot, that's a lot of stretching in that frame. It definitely won't be as strong as it originally was or would be if he had a factory Supercrew with the 6.5 bed.

joshpickworth
11-07-2013, 08:35 PM
If done right it won't weaken it significantly, but it still weakens it. Ever play with silly putty back in the day Joe? Same concept, you're taking a certain amount of material and stretching it farther. Eventually, just like silly putty, after a certain extent it loses it's strength. Going from the 5.5 bed to the 6.5 bed on a Supercrew takes your wheel base from 145" to 154". While 9 inches doesn't seem like a lot, that's a lot of stretching in that frame. It definitely won't be as strong as it originally was or would be if he had a factory Supercrew with the 6.5 bed. you can't stretch steel, they'd most likely splice in a new piece of frame, as long as they don't weld it to hot or to cold it'll be just as strong

RhinoZ24
11-07-2013, 10:06 PM
you can't stretch steel, they'd most likely splice in a new piece of frame, as long as they don't weld it to hot or to cold it'll be just as strong

I swear my midterms are making me dumber and dumber instead of smarter. I didn't even think about cutting and adding, I just assumed stretching. I'm just going to shut up from now on because I honestly apparently can't think clearly at all. There was my special moment of the day lol.

joshpickworth
11-08-2013, 05:46 AM
I swear my midterms are making me dumber and dumber instead of smarter. I didn't even think about cutting and adding, I just assumed stretching. I'm just going to shut up from now on because I honestly apparently can't think clearly at all. There was my special moment of the day lol. lol don't worry it's cool, we do have a joke at the shop bout that though, we'll get new guys in that don't know there a$$ from a hole in the ground and when they screw up and cut something short I'll tell em to get the steel stretcher, another good one is go get the aluminum magnet lol had a kid older than me go ask everyone in the shop for one

RhinoZ24
11-08-2013, 11:48 AM
lol don't worry it's cool, we do have a joke at the shop bout that though, we'll get new guys in that don't know there a$$ from a hole in the ground and when they screw up and cut something short I'll tell em to get the steel stretcher, another good one is go get the aluminum magnet lol had a kid older than me go ask everyone in the shop for one

Lmao, I would be the dumb@$$ that would believe you guys too lol.

StaX
09-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Reviving from the dead; Steel has some stretch to it, that's how they gather the tensile strength. But not 9". And to add to welding to hot or cold, they would also need to use the correct parent metal, filler metal, gas/flux.

Ford Fan#1
09-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Reviving from the dead; Steel has some stretch to it, that's how they gather the tensile strength. But not 9". And to add to welding to hot or cold, they would also need to use the correct parent metal, filler metal, gas/flux. or he can just buy a bed extender...