PDA

View Full Version : another rough idle question

barnyard
06-08-2013, 01:06 PM
So I am brand new to this forum and I apologize for another rough idle post. I have searched through threads but have read so many different situations and solutions that I figured it makes more sense to provide all the info I can about my truck. Its an 07 5.4 f150 with 113k on it, I've had it for 3 months. There is no power loss, and most of the time it runs very smooth and quiet. A few weeks ago I found that after about an hour of highway driving it will barely idle when I stop but if I put it in neutral and rev it a couple times its fine. Its not throwing any codes. I changed the oil last week and used the recommended motor craft 5w-20. Now it takes about 30 minutes of driving or 5 minutes towing to idle rough, but its fine when I rev it up or dtive. Today it dies completely for the first time bit starts right up and runs perfectly fine. This all started before I ever towed with it. I checked the transmission fluid and its fine, not that I thought that had anything to do with it. I read somewhere that thicker oil helps because of some sensor and now I'm curious since my symptoms got much worse after my first oil change. Others have told me that it sounds like an egr issue and others tell me they idle rough...but I won't accept that they stall and idle this bad when most of the time it idles so smooth you can't here it. It also seems that this didn't start until it started getting warm out.

Any thoughts, I know many have had similar symptoms.

Jersey_Joe
06-08-2013, 02:18 PM
X2^. That and is ur air flow good?

RhinoZ24
06-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Do you know if the fuel filter and air filter have been changed recently? And your throttle body? Try some fuel system cleaner too.

lee reece
06-08-2013, 06:34 PM
I would check fuel pressure and also change filter ! My 07 has not done this but I got it in December ! It has not started up just once and I could crank on it but wouldn't start. The cluster on dash said check gauges and I noticed that the temp gauge went all the way to hot and then fell slow . No code set. It only has 90,xxx and has not done it since? Idk!

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

barnyard
06-09-2013, 05:34 AM
Air filter is new, but I'm willing to bet its been a long time, if ever, since either has been changed. I will change fuel filter asap and plugs, and check fuel pressure and report back. It still bothers me that these symptoms got worse after an oil change...but I'll check all the simple stuff that needs to be done anyways. I'll let you guys know. Thanks.

5.0Flareside
06-09-2013, 07:25 AM
It's likely just coincidental that it got worse after oil change... Don't stress

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power