PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Cloth Seats

RhinoZ24
06-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I've asked this before, and one response I got for cleaning the cloth seats (water stains and other dirt and stuff) is using a handheld carpet cleaner. Would this be okay, as in its not going to harm the stuffing or springs or especially the upholstery, if I do it? If it will, any other suggestions for cleaning the cloth seats?

masonic
06-05-2013, 10:45 PM
I would imagine you need to be as gentle as possible to not fray the fabric. The dealership told me to use a damp cloth on any stains and if that doesn't get it out they'll clean it for free. I get something sprayed on them once a year, must say its pretty sweet. We had to clean the smoke smell out of some seats once and we had this little carpet cleaner looking deal that was made for car seats, worked good.

pockets
06-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Where do you get a carpet cleaner for car seats?

RhinoZ24
06-05-2013, 11:31 PM
I would imagine you need to be as gentle as possible to not fray the fabric. The dealership told me to use a damp cloth on any stains and if that doesn't get it out they'll clean it for free. I get something sprayed on them once a year, must say its pretty sweet. We had to clean the smoke smell out of some seats once and we had this little carpet cleaner looking deal that was made for car seats, worked good.

That's what I'm talking about, I think.

----------

Where do you get a carpet cleaner for car seats?

Apparently The Home Depot has the handheld ones you can rent for like $30 a day (according to my sister).

Jersey_Joe
06-06-2013, 02:33 AM
Depot and lowes. It sprays it with water/cleaner and then just vacuums it up. Almost like a steam cleaner. Works good. It won't damage anything. It quite gentle. Seats my b a tad damp fer an hr er two. But small potatoes. End result is nice!

joshpickworth
06-06-2013, 06:18 AM
What's a good product to protect them after???

RhinoZ24
06-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Depot and lowes. It sprays it with water/cleaner and then just vacuums it up. Almost like a steam cleaner. Works good. It won't damage anything. It quite gentle. Seats my b a tad damp fer an hr er two. But small potatoes. End result is nice!

Awesome thanks Joe! Finally they'll look good lol.

pockets
06-06-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm going to have to rent one the last owner use to smoke inside the truck which is yuck

RhinoZ24
06-06-2013, 03:34 PM
What's a good product to protect them after???

I'm gunna try 3M's Scotchgard. I mean it works for clothes to repel stains, I don't see why it won't work the same for fabric seats.

----------

I'm going to have to rent one the last owner use to smoke inside the truck which is yuck

No bueno there, luckily mine was a non smoker.

Jersey_Joe
06-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm gunna try 3M's Scotchgard. I mean it works for clothes to repel stains, I don't see why it won't work the same for fabric seats.

----------

No bueno there, luckily mine was a non smoker.

They make it for cars too. I've used it

RhinoZ24
06-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Awesome, I'll try and find some.

RexReid
03-13-2014, 06:53 AM
My local car wash is really good. I would be tempted to let them clean the seats. I think they charge $40. That is about what it costs to rent the machine and get cleaners. I have had them do my girlfriend's car for a present (for both of us). Totally cool.

Grabber70Mach
03-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Bought one of these years ago, http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Bissell-Little-Green-Portable-Deep-Cleaner-14007/9863572

Has easily paid for itself over the years.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

dtomlin
03-13-2014, 10:02 AM
I use the upholstery attachment on the wife's carpet cleaner. Pick a pretty day and pull the seats and do them and the carpet. Then go ape**** with scotch guard

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RhinoZ24
03-13-2014, 06:03 PM
I use the upholstery attachment on the wife's carpet cleaner. Pick a pretty day and pull the seats and do them and the carpet. Then go ape**** with scotch guard

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's what I did last summer and will probably do again this summer, and use Scotch Guard this time.