PDA

View Full Version : 5th and 6th gen F150's?

Red31
02-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Hi yall! Ain't been on in a while but still on the F150 hunt. I've decided to fulfill my lifelong dream and began saving up for a restorable or completely original 70's model F150. I am still in the research process and was wondering if anyone could help me out in finding the key differences between 5th (1967-72) and 6th (1973-79) models? Any info would be appreciated. I would also appreciate if anyone with experience with these models could tell me some things I should maybe watch out for while I'm looking around for one I like. Thanks, this project will be several years in the making and prolly another year before I can even afford it but I'm always planning ahead.

Fordguy77
02-03-2012, 01:45 AM
Your fifth generations were badged under the F100. 73 was the first year (not 100% on that) that the 1/2tons started receiving the badge f150. The 5th generations are nicked named the "bumpsides" and the 6th are "dentsides". There is a fairly large styling difference between the 2 cosmetically.

However most the mechanic components remained the same until the later 70s. Common motors were the 240 & 300I6's, the 360 & 390 V8s and a seldom few were sporting the 352V8 and the 302. With the exception of the 352 those motors were offered through 76. After mid 77 there were only 2 motors you could get from the factory and they were the 351M and the 400. Both motors are cast the same, however the 400 uses a longer stroke. the motor was based of the 351c however have a 1" taller deck height so there are limited parts interchangablity. They also changed the steering linkage setup 3 times during the 70s however many people opt to switch to the style used on the 78-79 pickups. Also 77 was the last year for the higher sitting suspension setups which was dropped in 78 for a lower riding vehicle.

Most trucks were running C4/6's(auto), NP435(4spd) or T18's(4spd).

Common rusts sports for both generations are rear quarters, cab corners, floor pans, and the rear lower portion of the front fenders.

The 2 wheel drives of both generations were running Twin I Beam setup, while most the 4x4's ran Dana 44's. Regardless of 2wd vs 4wd they both ran 9" rears, in both the big bearing and low bearing versions.
What information are you looking for exactly? I'm not all sure what to throw out there. They are my favorite 2 generations for styling. I'm not all to fond of anything newer than the 9th gens.
Let me know what info your looking for as a have a good deal of it. Here's a pic of mine. 70 F100 2wd 390 c6 longbed, and a 77 F150 4wd 400 4spd Longbed
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215168_107235152712006_100002765659365_34723_60157 75_n.jpg

Red31
02-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all of that info! Exactly the stuff I'm looking for! Do you know of any years that should be avoided for things like mechanical issues or anything? Didn't know if a certain model year had more motor issues then another. Love your truck too. I'm looking for a 6th gen 4x4 that's either still mostly original or is easily restorable for my first major project.

Fordguy77
02-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Heres a short break down for you. Much of it comes down to opinion and person choice. However the older motors, were so simple that they hardly had any major issues. Its not like todays motors with a million electronic components that have to be in sync with each other.

Fords I6 Family

240- Is pretty the predecessor of the the 300. It was rated at 150hp, and has an extremely long service life. It was used in cars and trucks from the mid 50s until the 70s. There isn't a whole lot out there on this motor, with out some serious searching, and everything you are going to find on it, is going to tell you to replace it with a 300 I6 or a V8. Earlier ones did suffer some issues with blow by. However as with most of these motors, a rebuild today, will have better rings and components.

300- This motor is one of the most underrated motors. It was used in a few cars, many trucks, broncos, and even industrial equipment. It was in production from the mid 60s until 1996 when they discontinued it. Early versions were rated at 170HP @ 3800RPM and 285Ftlbs @1600RPM. If you doing some digging, or pick up a few copies of True Blue Trucks, there is a right up in there that produces just over 300hp with torque in the mid 400s, managing an impressive 18-22MPG. The design of the motor is almost perfectly balanced to start. So if you take the time to balance one of these motors when building you can safely rev them up to around 7k rpm which is insane for an I6. The "Assuies" have done some serious things to these motors with turbos and so on. They run forever, and are all out torque monsters.

Small Block V8s(Fords 90degree V8 Family)

302- Overall a very reliable V8. that was produced from 68(?) up until till 2001 i believe. It was used in everything from cars, trucks, to explorers in the late 90s. This motor has an outrageous amount of aftermarket support, they can be built to meet just about any HP needs. ill just post the wiki for this one as there is so much out there on it, its stupid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Windsor_engine#302

351W- The big brother of the 302, it has an 1" taller deck height, but other than that it is very similar in design to the 302. Its build able to just about any means. Ill link this motor as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Windsor_engine#302

Onside note all the motors listed above use the same bell housing pattern, and in most cases transmissions are interchangeable.

Ford Y Block FE

352- Is a more rare motor to find today. It was used from the 50s until the end of the 60s. It was in Tbirds, Fairlanes, Trucks, Galaxies, and so on. Its not as common as the others listed so it is a little harder to find parts for, but is very do able. It was rated from 208hp all the way up to 360 depending on which style intake its running and if it has a 4barrel carb vs a 2 Barrel. However do not expect to see anything over low teens for mpg.

Ford Big Block FE

360- Considered by most a boat anchor. This is what originally came in my 70. I agree with popular opinion. They get around 12-13 mpg on a good day, and are decently under-powered compared to the other motor choices. The heads have horrible flow and so on. However i will attest to the fact they can take a beating and keep on going. The thing is though, 360s used 352 internals, however it shared the bore, and heads/intakes with the 390. Making it indistinguishable form a 390 until the motor is apart and the stroke can be measured. However a freshly built one might not be too bad, if you used a kit meant for the late 60s motors before everything was detuned in the 70s for emissions, as they were rated at 215hp and 375ftlbs. It was discontinued in 76

390-Similar in design to the 360, its main differences were different size journals, and a longer stroke than the 360. However as stated above the can interchange heads, ikes, exhaust manifolds, and so on. There have been several versions of the 390, mainly differences in fuel delivery, resulting in power ratings from 265-401 in stock configurations, and can be built to handle much more power. They were used in mustangs, toringos, fairlanes trucks, and all across. There is some good aftermarket support for these motors, and because of this, i chose to dump my 360 for a 390. Also discontinued in 76.

On a side note all the big block fords share the same bell-housing pattern as well.

The Ford "Modified Family"

351M- Many people say that the M stands for modified, but its actually a stamp and designation to help separate it from the 351C and the 351W. It is based off of the 351C which is a Small Block motor in the FE 385 family. However the only parts interchangeability are the heads. The internals are all of different sizes, and it also has a 1" taller deck height. It had some really messed up timing, and one of the best things you can do to this motor is change out the cam and timing chain. and it greatly wakes them up. Also the use of 351C heads can increase flow and compression. They are not the most popular motor out there for builders. But with a little time just like the 400 they can be built to run, and run well, and run long. The only difference between this and the 400 is the stroke.

400- Is just a stroked 351. However after 1971 the motors were greatly detuned and the compression lowered. Which is why they benefit so much from a cam. Pre 72 the were rated at 265hp and higher 300 for lbs. After 72 they were rated at 175hp and 289ftlbs of torque. Dont let this scare you, do some reading on the 400, and you can see just home much they benefit from a cam. And with a good rebuild they are 400hp and 500Ftlbs motors, and because of the bore stroke design they make there power much lower(about 2k rpm lower) than the commonly swapped in 460 which has very comparable numbers. I recently rebuilt one, and all i did was up the compression and switch the cam and carb as i already had an aftermarket intake, and let me tell you its a night and day difference. I thought about the 460 swap, and i bite the bullet and rebuilt the 400. And knowing what i know now, ill never swap a 460 in place of the 400.

Side Note: These 2 motors are going to be the only stock motors offered in Ford pickups from mid76 until 79. Any other motor means it was swapped at some time. They also share the same bellhousing as the big blocks.

Just let me know what you are looking for and ill give you the info i have. The 70 was my first truck in highschool and the 77 my grad present. So i have spent the last 6 years or so of my life(since i bought the 70) researching both of these generations and motors and so on. I have drawn many opinions and am slightly bias, however all of these motors are good motors, and most ran for several decades further helping prove there dependability and place in history.

oldfordman
02-27-2012, 08:50 PM
a 460 engine was available in the 78-79 model f150 as original equipment.

mhillgardner
04-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Post 1976 you could get a 460 in a camper special as well the 302 was offered as an option(in all trim levels) Also not all big blocks use the same bell housings:

330-352-360-390-428 are the same (C6 auto used a "low back"

351m-400 & 429-460 are the same (C6 auto used a "high back")