PDA

View Full Version : dilemma

pockets
05-18-2013, 10:33 PM
What's a reasonable price to pay at a shop to have all wheel bearings and races replaced on a 4wd? This will be the first time I take something to a shop so I'm trying not to get screwed over.

Raptor05121
05-19-2013, 07:52 AM
You could do the backs yourself. For the fronts I would go around and get 2-3 quotes

pockets
05-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Ok then I'm definitely doing the backs myself. And thanks for the advice on getting quotes... I'm new to taken vehicles to shops cause I usually just fix it myself.

Raptor05121
05-19-2013, 05:29 PM
In the 15 years I've been with mine- its been to the Ford dealer twice, for stuff I couldn't do myself in the time allotted (engine swap and clutch replacement)

pockets
05-19-2013, 05:55 PM
I just cringe at the idea of taking it to a shop for a couple reasons 1. It's hard to find an honest shop and 2. Since I'm a female they treat me like I don't know jack **** and try to tell me I need none existing things such as muffler bearings and blinker fluid which really pisses me off.

RhinoZ24
05-19-2013, 11:50 PM
Well it's good that you know about that, unlike my sister who would buy anything a mechanic said she needed.

pockets
05-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Your sister sounds like my sisters and mom. I had to teach my older sister how to pump gas and show my mom where to put in the power steering fluid and radiator fluid.

----------

Oh and if someone says some sort of part that sounds suspicious to me I question the hell out of them about it and if they start making s*** up I know they're full of it.

RhinoZ24
05-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Your sister sounds like my sisters and mom. I had to teach my older sister how to pump gas and show my mom where to put in the power steering fluid and radiator fluid.

----------

Oh and if someone says some sort of part that sounds suspicious to me I question the hell out of them about it and if they start making s*** up I know they're full of it.

That's a good strategy. Yeah I don't trust mechanics too much, I mean I know they have to make a living and its their job to sell you stuff to fix your problems, but they always think you're uneducated and try to take advantage of that.

masonic
05-20-2013, 10:42 PM
They try that crap on everyone. I remember being a kid and getting work done then getting a call mid day saying oh you need this this and that and suddenly it cost double what you were quoted. Now I get a call saying I need these this and that and have have enough knowledge to say you can shove it. I'll buy it for 1/4 the price somewhere else. Used car dealerships are the worst for it, but I guess thats how you learn how the world works.

RhinoZ24
05-21-2013, 12:04 AM
They try that crap on everyone. I remember being a kid and getting work done then getting a call mid day saying oh you need this this and that and suddenly it cost double what you were quoted. Now I get a call saying I need these this and that and have have enough knowledge to say you can shove it. I'll buy it for 1/4 the price somewhere else. Used car dealerships are the worst for it, but I guess thats how you learn how the world works.

I agree with you 100% there.

pockets
05-21-2013, 03:25 AM
I've only known 1 honest mechanic and his long gone now, but he got tons of business because word spread quickly of how honest he was. I was little then but I remember him he use to call me son or boy and I'd get all upset and say I'm not a boy I'm a girl and then when I learned he was only teasing he'd give me a coin to get some candy. He was like a grandpa to everyone and believed in treating people how'd ge treat his family.

pockets
05-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Is $250 for 2 races, bearings and seals greased and everything a resonable price to pay at a shop?

masonic
05-28-2013, 09:22 PM
My buddy replaced 1 bearing AND hub for $120, but I've replaced bearings on everything except a truck and haven't paid more than 65. Keeping in mind trucks go way faster than the stuff I've fixed.

pockets
05-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Hmm well damn maybe I should just have the races pushed in and do the rest of it myself.

----------

I really wish I just had the equipment to do it myself.