PDA

View Full Version : E85 Fuel

CamoFreak117
05-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Has anyone used E85 in the new 5.0s f150s? I know that its cheaper but with less power. Seems like in the long run you'd be paying more because of the decrease in fuel economy over the price of E85. I've done some research and it seems it all just depends on the engine. Has anyone done tests on this engine?

Raptor05121
05-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Actually, you get more power. E85 has a higher R+M/2 octane rating over standard 87 or 93 gasoline and the ECU will increase timing to correct for it. What you get less off is BTUs.

Depending on your price per gallon and driving style, it has been calculated that E85 is in fact, more expensive in the long run over standard 87 octane fuel. Government agencies use it to offset the carbon footprint and diehard tuners use it for more power. My local dyno smells like a corn-on-the-cob fest when the Subie guys show up

RhinoZ24
05-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Actually, you get more power. E85 has a higher R+M/2 octane rating over standard 87 or 93 gasoline and the ECU will increase timing to correct for it. What you get less off is BTUs.

Depending on your price per gallon and driving style, it has been calculated that E85 is in fact, more expensive in the long run over standard 87 octane fuel. Government agencies use it to offset the carbon footprint and diehard tuners use it for more power. My local dyno smells like a corn-on-the-cob fest when the Subie guys show up

Lmao, at least it smells good.