PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors

DarkFox
05-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Hello, everyone.

So, I'm planning on changing my stock black plastic side mirrors with stainless steel ones similar to those shown here (http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=81).
I'm sure I can get through it fine, but I need some basics training here. I'm aware that there will be holes left in the body from the original mirrors. I cannot use those holes because I'm also repositioning the mirrors. One question to you guys is this: What process must I run through to patch holes in body of the truck. Furthermore, any general tips with drilling into the body or anything else this mod (Mod? I guess. I AM modifying it, aren't I?) may require tips on.
Thanks and have a good one!

joshpickworth
05-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I would say a little bit of welding and bondo for the holes, that is if you know how to weld that thin of sheet metal!!!!

DarkFox
05-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I don't have the tools nor the skills for that, unfortunately... Is that the only reliable choice?

masonic
05-05-2013, 10:08 PM
You could use body filler in the holes then use sandpaper and smooth it out. Your trucks older and I'm sure the paint has probably become a little faded. So the problem is matching the paint. That's the hard part, and I don't know a lot about that, I always see people driving around with white patches.

DarkFox
05-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I was thinking more along those lines. What and how many different grits of sandpaper should I get?
And I'm not too worried about matching the color. It's not that faded in comparison to the door jambs. Still looking bright red, Baby! Haha.

Oh, and any particular brand of body filler? I would imagine they're mostly the same, right?

masonic
05-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Yeah they're pretty well all the same I'd guess. The bigger the hole the more likely it is to crack though. As for the sandpaper just start at like 80 then 120, 220,320 so on. The finer you go the more scratches you'll get out.

I don't really use filler myself, I've got a welder and that's the better way to do it.

djfllmn
05-08-2013, 05:08 AM
DO NOT fill the holes with bondo it will crack and fall out...find somebody with a welder...i worked in a body shop for a few years...ive seen what happens when you try and fill holes with mud

4RD
05-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Just put a rubber plug in them and dont worry about it until you get some body work done.

DarkFox
05-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Guys.
Anyone know off hand how large the holes will be? It's just the external screws, right?
They're non-powered, by the way. (I'm not sure what year powered windows were introduced... Hm. To Google!)

djfllmn
05-09-2013, 05:21 AM
92 i believe was the first year for power external mirrors