PDA

View Full Version : Wheels making a noise..

Rob_C95
04-16-2013, 02:50 PM
All I can say is that they are making a knocking or rubbing noise. It happens at 20mph and 60mph and anything in between. My dad looked at the truck while going 60mph and said the tire was not balanced. Just got the one tire balanced and its still making the noise. Could it be the 3 remaining tires out of balance?? Any ideas?

1995 Ford F-150 302

masonic
04-16-2013, 06:09 PM
I've never had an unbalanced wheel make noise. It just shakes and you can feel it all the way up through the steering wheel. I'd say its more likely the brakes. Pads, rotors, etc.

Rob_C95
04-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Well the one wheel we suspected was unbalanced was only unbalanced by a little the mechanic said. As for feeling it in the steering wheel, I can't feel it there. I hear it and feel it in the floorboard. I even went about 25mph threw the truck into neutral and shut the engine off to confirm its not knocking in the engine. Just replaced pads and rotors on the front. Also I will be driving it at highway speeds and every now and then the noise will stop for maybe 2 seconds at the most and start right back up to making noise. I just switched my front tires with my dads front tires and it still makes the noise. So I'm thinking its maybe the back wheels (which have less tread and are older) or its something up under the front end...

1995 Ford F-150 302

RhinoZ24
04-16-2013, 06:29 PM
I had a similar issue on my '05. I had a loud noise at any speed above 25 or 30 mph. I could feel a little vibration in the floor and wheel as well. It was my two front hub bearings, had to be replaced. That might be your issue too.

Rob_C95
04-16-2013, 06:39 PM
As well as the rotors and pads we also replaced the bearings too

1995 Ford F-150 302

RhinoZ24
04-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Ok never mind then lol.

masonic
04-16-2013, 07:04 PM
The same exact thing is happening with our work truck, if nobody else has a solution I'll know more on Monday.

lee reece
04-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Well the one wheel we suspected was unbalanced was only unbalanced by a little the mechanic said. As for feeling it in the steering wheel, I can't feel it there. I hear it and feel it in the floorboard. I even went about 25mph threw the truck into neutral and shut the engine off to confirm its not knocking in the engine. Just replaced pads and rotors on the front. Also I will be driving it at highway speeds and every now and then the noise will stop for maybe 2 seconds at the most and start right back up to making noise. I just switched my front tires with my dads front tires and it still makes the noise. So I'm thinking its maybe the back wheels (which have less tread and are older) or its something up under the front end...

1995 Ford F-150 302

Rob have the front end checked out by someone who can tell if ur ball joints are bad! As the factory ones aren't grease able they are worn at 150K and only get worse from there. One gets bad and that stresses the other one until there's enough movement to actually hear and feel it as you are describing ! Glad to help let me no if this helped ? And btw is truck 4x4?

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

Rob_C95
04-23-2013, 10:03 AM
The same exact thing is happening with our work truck, if nobody else has a solution I'll know more on Monday.
What is wrong with your work truck?

----------

Rob have the front end checked out by someone who can tell if ur ball joints are bad! As the factory ones aren't grease able they are worn at 150K and only get worse from there. One gets bad and that stresses the other one until there's enough movement to actually hear and feel it as you are describing ! Glad to help let me no if this helped ? And btw is truck 4x4?

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

Sorry for the late reply, but the truck is 2wd.

masonic
04-23-2013, 01:23 PM
The guy just said the drive axle in the front was wrecked. That was all I heard about it.