PDA

View Full Version : C3 coilpack missfire

joshpickworth
04-10-2013, 05:18 AM
check engine light came on, scanner said cylinder 3 misfire and c3 coilpack, so I changed coilpack and figured I'd see what it'd do, runs better but occasionally it hesitates/misses. I changed the plugs bout 13000 ago should I change cylinder three plug again? and I was wondering with the coilpacks is it alright to just change one or do u need to change em all?

Jersey_Joe
04-10-2013, 06:10 AM
U can just change em as u go. U can pull the plug and clean it. Won't hurt. Not needed all the time though. But yeah ur good with just changin the coil pack

joshpickworth
04-10-2013, 07:18 AM
Yeah I was gonna put some Lucas fuel treatment/injector cleaner in see if that don't help, hoping it'll just clear out on its own! The engine light hasn't come back on so it can't be to bad

RhinoZ24
04-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Yeah I was gonna put some Lucas fuel treatment/injector cleaner in see if that don't help, hoping it'll just clear out on its own! The engine light hasn't come back on so it can't be to bad

Just because it's not on doesn't mean its not bad. It doesn't always catch everything, so that's what you're for lol.

Jersey_Joe
04-10-2013, 07:23 AM

If your light is out. U fixed the prob. The light will come on for a prob. Once it's cleared ur good. Every other tank full or every 2 tank fills run somethin through it. Doesn't hurt.

joshpickworth
04-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Yeah the only thing I can't figure out is when it misfires the tranny or something is like slipping or trying to down shift, like a shutter, shaking idk how to describe it, did the same thing before I changed the plugs but hasn't done it till the coil went bad, but you put it to the floor and it clears out

Jersey_Joe
04-10-2013, 10:39 AM
It's not ur tranny. It's ur engine misfiring. U shoukd b ok now

RhinoZ24
04-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Carb build up too, its a good idea to blow it out, running your truck hard. Have you cleaned your throttle body lately?

joshpickworth
04-10-2013, 12:39 PM
No I haven't, was told to get sea foam and run it through the vacuum line and it might help

Jersey_Joe
04-10-2013, 12:59 PM
No I haven't, was told to get sea foam and run it through the vacuum line and it might help

There's that myth again. Sea foam is not your friend. I personally think that stuff is junk. Run zmax through your tank every 6k and you'll b clean as a whistle. Leave that sea foam crap fer boats. Lol

joshpickworth
04-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Ill have to try it, but before the coilpack went I put a can in the tank and got 2 more mpg, even after a few more fill ups! I prefer Lucas myself but know alot of people that swear by the sea foam

Jersey_Joe
04-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Ill have to try it, but before the coilpack went I put a can in the tank and got 2 more mpg, even after a few more fill ups! I prefer Lucas myself but know alot of people that swear by the sea foam

I hear ya. To each there own I guess. I'm just a not a fan.

joshpickworth
04-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Well I jinxed myself, damn light came on so I'm gonna get a new plug and just swap it, prob didn't help when I drove it for three days before changing the pack

RhinoZ24
04-10-2013, 08:37 PM

Yeah but cleaning the throttle body is a good idea to, actually get in there and get all the grime off the butterfly valve.

Jersey_Joe
04-11-2013, 05:24 AM
Well I jinxed myself, damn light came on so I'm gonna get a new plug and just swap it, prob didn't help when I drove it for three days before changing the pack

Nah don't sweat it. It won't hurt it. Check the code. Don't throw $$ at it. See what it is first. Could b another coil. They go in twos on mine all the time. Lol. It could b an injector Sounds like another coil. If u got 13k on ur plugs. They should b fine. U can clean it. But save the ten bucks on a plug

joshpickworth
04-12-2013, 07:46 AM
so I got advanced auto to re read the code and came up the same, went to the farm after and blew off all the dirt, took coil pack out, blew the pocket out, and went to take the plug out and the damn thing wasn't even tight! I tightened it by hand( w/socket and extension) at least a quarter turn! so I backed it out thing was clean, put it back in and tightened it down, I payed a place to do it cause I didn't want the hassle if they broke off, called the guy up and he was dumbfounded as to why it was lose, anyways the light flashed again so I knew it misfired again! then stayed off and came back on and stayed on later that night, runs good, idles kinda rough, gonna get injector cleaner and get it scanned and cleared see what happens!

RhinoZ24
04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Yeah the injector cleaner should help the rough idle. I would recommend cleaning your throttle body too. My '05 has had a rough idle occasionally since I got it. Cleaned the throttle body and it seems to have helped it a bit. And you're still getting a misfire? Did you keep the same plug in cylinder 3 or did you put a new one in yesterday?

joshpickworth
04-12-2013, 12:31 PM
yeah it looked good and it only missed once so far, could just be the cylinder blowin **** out, guess ill see

joshpickworth
04-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Well I replaced the plug and runs like a raped ape!!! should of just done it from the getgo

RhinoZ24
04-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Well I replaced the plug and runs like a raped ape!!! should of just done it from the getgo

Lmao nice analogy lol. And that's good to hear.