PDA

View Full Version : Towing a fifth wheel camper.

Beaverbergie
03-31-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm planning on buying a fifth wheel camper. The trailer's weight is 8400 lbs which once it's loaded is going to be close to the recommended 9600lbs for my truck configuration. I'll install 5000 lbs firestone air spings and compressor. Any thougts (other than telling me to buy a 3/4 ton)? We are going to travel short distances (less than 300 miles)

Jersey_Joe
03-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Well first off welcome to the forum. And you will be fine. The air bag set up will work just fine. I have the super springs helper springs. I've towed way over the suggested amount and have had no probs. I also have a few upgrades to make sure I was good. But u will b fine. Happy motoring. Lol. Make sure u show some picks of ur setups. But to answer ur question. All u have to do is hookup and go once your all set up

masonic
03-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the forum. I recently purchased a 25ft bumper hitch camper. I was wondering the same thing for my EB. I'm hoping I won't need to add anything. Maybe like an inch block to get rid of the little sag. (Hoping so)

Sent from your back seat via iPhone

Jersey_Joe
03-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Mason. Helper springs or a small air bag kit will do wonders. Ur truck will pull it without a prob at all. The inch blocks will make ur truck ride tuff when u don't have ur camper on. And it's not a 5 min job to take them in and out. However. Supersprings has a kit (that I actually own) that does take 5 mins to take on and off. Just say ya know. Check em out. Air bags r nice too

RhinoZ24
03-31-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm planning on buying a fifth wheel camper. The trailer's weight is 8400 lbs which once it's loaded is going to be close to the recommended 9600lbs for my truck configuration. I'll install 5000 lbs firestone air spings and compressor. Any thougts (other than telling me to buy a 3/4 ton)? We are going to travel short distances (less than 300 miles)

You'll be fine like Joe said, you're not exceeding the GVWR of your truck so no worries there.

----------

Welcome to the forum. I recently purchased a 25ft bumper hitch camper. I was wondering the same thing for my EB. I'm hoping I won't need to add anything. Maybe like an inch block to get rid of the little sag. (Hoping so)

Unless your 25ft trailer weigh 13000lbs, I don't think you'll have any problems with power lol.

masonic
03-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Once I pick it up ill see how it looks and post some pictures if something needs to be done.

RhinoZ24
03-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Sounds good and goodluck!

lee reece
03-31-2013, 06:48 PM
But also a programmer would benefit you if you don't already have a set up!

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

Jersey_Joe
03-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Programmers r fantastic U can make it feel like there isn't even a trailer behind u. Btw there r some nice air bag kits out there. U can control each side with a gauge and a small compressor from inside while u ride. But good luck and let us know how make out

Beaverbergie
04-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Well first off welcome to the forum. And you will be fine. The air bag set up will work just fine. I have the super springs helper springs. I've towed way over the suggested amount and have had no probs. I also have a few upgrades to make sure I was good. But u will b fine. Happy motoring. Lol. Make sure u show some picks of ur setups. But to answer ur question. All u have to do is hookup and go once your all set up

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm new to this forum and it seems to be quite interesting. For the record, i'm a trucker and driver trainer. So I know pretty much what there is to know about weight laws and stuff. But believe me it's tough to figure put who to believe (rv and pick up truck salesmen, etc.). The RV business is some world of it's own.

RhinoZ24
04-01-2013, 06:00 PM
Never trust the salesman, they're there to sell you stuff, not really help you.

Beaverbergie
04-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Never trust the salesman, they're there to sell you stuff, not really help you.

They made that obvious very soon to me. Dies Anyone know where I could find info on rv towing regulations (State DMVs)?

RhinoZ24
04-01-2013, 06:21 PM
That's where I would start, the DMV's have all the rules and regulations for all things that go on the road.

masonic
05-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Finally pulled it put of the snow. It tows great with the EB. I don't think the truck even knew it was behind.

RhinoZ24
05-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Awesome!

Beaverbergie
08-17-2013, 04:07 PM
I am gonna install a Firestone air compressor kit and air springs. Any ideas where to install the compressor on a 09 XLT crewcab 4x4. Seems awefull tight under the hood. How about on frame rail with canadian climate snow and salt???

Raptor05121
08-18-2013, 08:40 AM
People don't recommend buying a 3/4 ton because it has more power, they recommend it because it is made for it. The F-150 can do it, no questions asked, but its not safe. The brake/trans/suspension and tow package for 5th wheels on 3/4 tons are better suited for it than a half ton. I've seen my fair share of flipped half's on the interstate trying to tow a trailer and getting bombarded with crosswinds.