PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for first F150

shawn97wells
03-16-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm about to be street legal but I already have a truck. It's a chevy, I got it for free from my granddad so I can't complain! But what I really want is a F150! I want it to be FX4, not real sure on what size engine or what cab i want. i want to keep for awhile and I want to make some modifications/upgrades to it eventually. And I'm not really sure on what year I want. What do y'all suggest I get (any suggestions welcome)? I'm the type of guy who likes to have a goal to work towards so if you will give me a ball park price of the truck you suggest! Thanks!!

RhinoZ24
03-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Well obviously used lol, and it'd be your best bet to get between an 04-08(body style before the current one) and depends on what you do and want. You want a 4X4 or the style of the truck as in the FX4 version? And what would you be doing with it, off-roading a lot, towing? If so you want a V8. For engine choices however, you have the 4.2L V6 with just over 200hp, the 4.6L V8 with 231hp and 291ft-lbs. of torque, and the 5.4L V8 with ~310hp and 3xx ft-lbs. of torque. As for the cab and bed length you have a lot of options. If you don't plan on driving a lot of people, a regular cab (2 door 3 seats) will do, if you're going to to drive people, but not often, then a Supercab (2 1/2 doors 5-6 seats), and if you plan on driving a bunch of people then a super crew (4 door 5-6 seats) is your best bet. As for bed length, you have the 5 1/2' the 6 1/2' and the 8' available on all (the 8' is not available on the super crew though). As for price, it depends on the miles and condition of the truck. I picked up my 05 XLT supercab with the 6.5' bed and 4.6L V8 for just over 13k about a year and a half ago. It only had 54,000 miles on it. For general pricing however, you're looking between 7-13k, could be higher or lower though. Thats just the general price around here. But it also depends on where you live, I'm in CA and everything costs more out here lol. I hope this helped a little and keep us updated if you get one. Good luck!

----------

Also welcome to the forum! And as for mods if you do them, we can help you out there too lol.

----------

Also, I don't know how Ford savvy you are, but the trim options (how nice the interior and exterior are aka all the gadgets and goodies such as cloth vs. leather seats and what technology it has inside) are (from lowest to highest): XL, STX, XLT, FX2, FX4, and Lariat.

shawn97wells
03-16-2013, 11:18 PM
It did help! Thanks! I'm leanin more towards the 4.6 V8 super cab with 6 1/2 foot bed. I won't be towin a lot but I want to be able to pull when I need to and I think I'd appreciate the little extra space even If I don't use it. I want 4x4 because I do plan to do some offroadin. And I'm not to knowledgable of trims at all and thanks for the welcoming and the price estimate!

And I definitely want at least the 4.6 because I may be working with my brother-in-law on there farm, and I would rather plan on getting the 08 because I don't want one with to many miles but if I find one with less miles and is in great condition I won't let it pass

RhinoZ24
03-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Yeah good choice. I like my 4.6, it has potential if you mod it just right. It's got enough power though. But if you want the extra power, the 5.4 is your engine. I hope you find a decently priced one with not too many miles. Like I said, keep us updated.

shawn97wells
03-16-2013, 11:46 PM
I will it may take a little bit because I still have school and football practice is around the corner but I'm gonna work all the free time I got so I can finally get rid of my chevy! Thanks again!

RhinoZ24
03-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Good choice haha and no problem, that's what we're all here for.

Jersey_Joe
03-17-2013, 06:43 PM
I will it may take a little bit because I still have school and football practice is around the corner but I'm gonna work all the free time I got so I can finally get rid of my chevy! Thanks again!

Yes yes get rid of the Bowtie. Lol.

shawn97wells
03-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Yes yes get rid of the Bowtie. Lol.

For sure!! A free truck is good but a free Ford would've been better!!

RhinoZ24
03-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Exactly, can't go wrong there.

shawn97wells
03-17-2013, 08:24 PM
So can you enlighten me on the trim levels?

Jersey_Joe
03-17-2013, 08:37 PM
For sure!! A free truck is good but a free Ford would've been better!!

Free anything is cool! Lets face it bud. If its free its fer me. Lol.
Well. It starts like this.
XL
Xlt
Fx4
Lariat
Platinum
Raptor
All r great. Each version has its perks as far as bells and whistles
But it all starts with price and what ur planning to do with it ya know?

shawn97wells
03-17-2013, 09:00 PM
For sure my everyday driver, offroadin (muddin mainly) just about every other weekend, I plan on keepin it for awhile and doin some mods/upgrades over time, towin and haulin every now and then, and havin a few friends with me once and awhile

----------

So I'll for sure get the fx4 at the least but I for wanna go up to the Raptor so what perks come with the fx4 and the other?

RhinoZ24
03-17-2013, 10:17 PM
No Raptor for the '08's bud, sorry, they didn't come out till 2009 I believe. They're pretty expensive too lol. They're the pre-built off-road trucks you see. Anyways though, the FX4 has leather seats instead of cloth, nicer instrument cluster for gauges, better technology (radio, climate controls, navigation(if installed), and stuff like that), and special wheels.

----------

For reference, current F-150 model vs. an F-150 Raptor

shawn97wells
03-18-2013, 04:58 AM
Meant don't wanna go up to the raptor because they are so expensive and because they're more for sand anyway what about lariat and the other posted? What's the difference in them and fx4

Jersey_Joe
03-18-2013, 05:23 AM
Fx4 is there off road package. Comes with and without every option from nav to remote starts. Lariat is a top of the line with all bells and whistles
Platinum is a step above that lol
Raptor is worth every penny. Capable of anything

RhinoZ24
03-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Fx4 is there off road package. Comes with and without every option from nav to remote starts. Lariat is a top of the line with all bells and whistles
Platinum is a step above that lol
Raptor is worth every penny. Capable of anything

Joe he's young like me, we can't afford that thing lol. It's awesome but out of our price range haha.

Jersey_Joe
03-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Lol. Ok

RhinoZ24
03-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Yeah, one day maybe lol.

Jersey_Joe
03-18-2013, 07:36 AM
Gota plaster Danny's face everywhere lol

RhinoZ24
03-18-2013, 07:37 AM
^Wrong thread

shawn97wells
03-18-2013, 03:38 PM
So lets say I find 5 f150s (04, 05 06 07 and 08 ) all had the same or generally the same miles on then, what year is better if any? And what are the major differences in fx4, lariat and platinum, besides price lol, of the 04-08 year models?

BFEB
03-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Obviously the older the less expensive it will be. I would rule out 04 since it was the first year of that generation (not saying its bad just might be buggy)

As far as trim goes the FX4 would be the least expensive of the ones you asked about. If it were me it'd be between a FX4 and a XLT 4X4 w/ the off road package. You'll save ages bucks that way and only miss out on a few interior options.

shawn97wells
03-18-2013, 07:58 PM
I know on new trucks there is about a 2k price jump from XLT to Fx4, but what about the 06-08's, would there be much of a difference in price, If I'm correct there are a few interior and exterior (even though I'm not sure what they are lol) and if the price differ isn't to bad then I don't see why I shouldn't go for the Fx4,
However if the upgrades from XLT to Fx4 are minor and are things that I may change myself later on then that's a different story. I've looked around trying to find the difference in those year models so if you know by all means do tell

RhinoZ24
03-18-2013, 11:14 PM
I know on new trucks there is about a 2k price jump from XLT to Fx4, but what about the 06-08's, would there be much of a difference in price, If I'm correct there are a few interior and exterior (even though I'm not sure what they are lol) and if the price differ isn't to bad then I don't see why I shouldn't go for the Fx4,
However if the upgrades from XLT to Fx4 are minor and are things that I may change myself later on then that's a different story. I've looked around trying to find the difference in those year models so if you know by all means do tell

The 04-08's look all the same basically. All that really changed was wheels available lol. And from XLT to FX4 you go from cloth to leather seats, special wheels, an upgraded radio/audio system, a nicer display for gauges on the dash, and some decals. The FX4's and the Lariats are basically the same in interior, and the Lariat just isn't pre-made 4x4, has to have the package. The limited is just a special edition Lariat with some extra few features (of which Idk what lol).

----------

And the newer it is, the more money it'll cost. Could be a 1 to 2k difference between the 06-08's.

Jersey_Joe
03-19-2013, 05:22 AM
^Wrong thread

Yup wrong thred haha

----------

Hey bro. The best way to see the diff in products r to go to ur local ford dealer or web sight and become a little more familiar with them. When u sit in something and r aware of the price an ur comfortable with that rest assure the path will b much more fulfilling

BFEB
03-19-2013, 06:17 AM
I agree with Joey. It all comes down to the $$$. You may be able to get into an 05 FX4 around the same price as an 07 XLT.

RhinoZ24
03-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Yeah, just look around and get to know the truck you want and figure out how much it should cost. Then get your savings up lol.

Jersey_Joe
03-19-2013, 07:30 AM
But don't settle. Get what u want. Ur payin for it. Might as well smile every time u turn the key ya know? Ford.com can get u started

RhinoZ24
03-19-2013, 07:35 AM
^Not for a used truck lol.

BFEB
03-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Just check auto trader and sites like that.

RhinoZ24
03-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Kelly Blue Book and edmunds too.

BFEB
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Also good sites.

RhinoZ24
03-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Yup, research it though, thoroughly. It'll give youve a pretty good idea on what you should be paying for an FX4 based on the year and mileage.

BFEB
03-19-2013, 05:41 PM
I'm a fan of truecar to keep pricing honest.