PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid

RhinoZ24
03-09-2013, 03:38 PM
What's the measurement for when you should replace your brake fluid, years or miles? I would assume miles, but either way I know I should replace cause its looking pretty nasty.

lesliehughes
03-09-2013, 05:45 PM
What's the measurement for when you should replace your brake fluid, years or miles? I would assume miles, but either way I know I should replace cause its looking pretty nasty.

I have no idea. But my theory has always been that when it stops stopping it may be a good idea to change it. If it's not broke don't fix it LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

RhinoZ24
03-09-2013, 05:53 PM
I'd like to change it before that happens and I rear-end somebody lol. Just wanted to know how often you should change it. I'm gunna bleed out the system next weekend and put in fresh fluid.

lesliehughes
03-09-2013, 05:57 PM
I'd like to change it before that happens and I rear-end somebody lol. Just wanted to know how often you should change it. I'm gunna bleed out the system next weekend and put in fresh fluid.

Yeah I'm not sure but on reality all joking aside I clean my brake system every year in beginning of summer. The fluid goes through a hot and cold change so often that I think it would break down. Just like motor oil does. And they are important especially if you have the little ones riding in there. We definitely want them safe. But yes I change mine every year at beginning of summer.

RhinoZ24
03-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Yeah I'm not sure but on reality all joking aside I clean my brake system every year in beginning of summer. The fluid goes through a hot and cold change so often that I think it would break down. Just like motor oil does. And they are important especially if you have the little ones riding in there. We definitely want them safe. But yes I change mine every year at beginning of summer.

No little ones yet lol, but a girlfriend to ensure the safety of haha. And yeah, I don't need any major problems so I'm going to flush the system.

lesliehughes
03-09-2013, 08:05 PM
No little ones yet lol, but a girlfriend to ensure the safety of haha. And yeah, I don't need any major problems so I'm going to flush the system.

Good choice. You will not be sorry.
Little ones will come be patient.

Raptor05121
03-10-2013, 10:35 AM
The only problem for brake fluid is the accumulation of water in the system. THAT will cause problems. With that said, my truck is 15 and I've only completely emptied and filled the system once, back in 2006 I believe.

Just for peace of mind- Airliners and most aircraft get theirs changed about once every 5 years...and that's stopping 300,000lbs of metal up to 5 times a day. Considering your 5,000 pound truck uses just about the same system....you're pretty well off doing it every 10 years or so.

RhinoZ24
03-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Good choice. You will not be sorry.
Little ones will come be patient.

No no little ones for a long time, like 10 or so years lol. I'm only 19 and in my first year of college haha. I gotta live life a little first.

----------

The only problem for brake fluid is the accumulation of water in the system. THAT will cause problems. With that said, my truck is 15 and I've only completely emptied and filled the system once, back in 2006 I believe.

Just for peace of mind- Airliners and most aircraft get theirs changed about once every 5 years...and that's stopping 300,000lbs of metal up to 5 times a day. Considering your 5,000 pound truck uses just about the same system....you're pretty well off doing it every 10 years or so.

Alright thank you, now I have a measurement for the interval of changing it. The fluid is as old as my truck, so 8 years now, but it's looking really nasty, dark green to black almost and I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be that color lol. So I'm just going to change it next weekend and take care of that. At least I won't have to do it again though lol. Thanks!

djfllmn
03-10-2013, 01:37 PM
just when you bleed the brakes DO NOT push the brake pedal all the way to the floor....unless you want to put a master cylinder in

RhinoZ24
03-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I take it that's happened before DJ? Lol and alright thanks for the advice!

djfllmn
03-10-2013, 01:41 PM
I take it that's happened before DJ? Lol and alright thanks for the advice!

hasnt happened to me but ive seen it happen before...when you bleed them dont push the pedal more than halfway

RhinoZ24
03-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Will do, thank you!
This is what my fluid looks like now, dirty like I said.

Raptor05121
03-10-2013, 07:05 PM
just when you bleed the brakes DO NOT push the brake pedal all the way to the floor....unless you want to put a master cylinder in

why do you say that?

djfllmn
03-11-2013, 05:14 AM
why do you say that?

Because what will happen is dirt will build up outside the normal brake pedal travel and if you push the pedal past normal travel then you'll chafe the seals and it will leak on you

Sent from my HTC One X using F150 App