PDA

View Full Version : Converting to disc

termi
02-16-2013, 01:55 PM
I know that you should upgrade brakes when upgrading power. And if I'm not mistaken, I've heard they're kits for converting to all disc brakes. Wondering if anybody recommends one and maybe a price range on how much it will be. Or do i even need a kit? Would i just have to get the rotor/calipers? New master cylinder? Any info or advice is appreciated

truckinal
05-26-2013, 07:36 PM
IMHO the only correct way is to find a donor vehicle that way you have all bases covered . Otherwise you could be in for a heck of a ride.

Raptor05121
05-26-2013, 11:11 PM
^^ this, you can do a complete swap from a donor truck. BUT: Is it worth it? IMO, if you were to supercharge your truck and plan to use it on the track, go for it. But converting from drum to disc on a truck that is only getting maybe 20hp more, you will only change the stopping distance by a couple of feet.

5.0Flareside
05-28-2013, 03:37 PM
If making less than 400 Hp I wouldn't bother rear brakes. Fronts get some good fresh calipers and drilled and slotted rotors

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

RhinoZ24
05-28-2013, 03:41 PM
If making less than 400 Hp I wouldn't bother rear brakes. Fronts get some good fresh calipers and drilled and slotted rotors

There's no need for slotted rotors on a truck lol. It's not stopping a 200mph sports car.

5.0Flareside
05-28-2013, 03:44 PM
It don't matter the speed.. It's the total momentum.. Say a truck going 40 that weights 5k pounds, and a car going 80 that weights 2500 lbs.. They're gonna need similar stopping force..

Drilled and slotted rotors help. Period.. And are a cheap upgrade from standard rotors

RhinoZ24
05-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Taking this from Alex, but with the slotted rotors there's less surface area for your brakes to grab onto. Taking the heavier truck longer to stop.

5.0Flareside
05-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Keeps the rotor cooler which allows the pad to grip better..

RhinoZ24
05-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Yes, but unless you're towing all the time or driving over 100mph a bunch, there's should be no problem with brakes over heating.

5.0Flareside
05-28-2013, 04:45 PM
If you in the brakes real hard they will fade quickly... Test have show the speed of stopping is greatest in the first half of the stop.. Cause the pads and rotors aren't hot..

Jersey_Joe
05-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Listen.... Seriously. If u wanna go fast. U gota b able to stop. Period. Just depends how fast u go is how fast u gota stop. Like 5.0 said. If u ain't Hittin 400 er better its really not gonna b a big gainer. How ever. If u r an offroader. I do not recommend cross drilled and slotted rotors. Dirt and those holes. Not so good. Kinda makes ya wanna kill kittins when u wanna stop. Ebc brakes makes a setup for all. Rotors and pads r on my 03 4x4 along with an upgraded caliper and it stops great.

----------

My truck. With my trailer and my gt500 on the trailer stops fine. It hasn't faded or givin me any probs ever. Check out ebc fellas. Great product IMO

RhinoZ24
05-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Listen.... Seriously. If u wanna go fast. U gota b able to stop. Period. Just depends how fast u go is how fast u gota stop. Like 5.0 said. If u ain't Hittin 400 er better its really not gonna b a big gainer. How ever. If u r an offroader. I do not recommend cross drilled and slotted rotors. Dirt and those holes. Not so good. Kinda makes ya wanna kill kittins when u wanna stop. Ebc brakes makes a setup for all. Rotors and pads r on my 03 4x4 along with an upgraded caliper and it stops great.

----------

My truck. With my trailer and my gt500 on the trailer stops fine. It hasn't faded or givin me any probs ever. Check out ebc fellas. Great product IMO

I like the regular non-slotted rotors on a truck anyways. A Mustang or something like that is a different story.

Jersey_Joe
05-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Agreed. With all that sand u got out there in the desert. Lol. But to each there own on the terrain it all varies. And yes. The mustang stops well lol

Raptor05121
05-28-2013, 09:33 PM
If you in the brakes real hard they will fade quickly... Test have show the speed of stopping is greatest in the first half of the stop.. Cause the pads and rotors aren't hot..

The double-walled vaned rotors that come stock your truck are perfect, they dissipate heat enough for one emergency stop at 70mph without fade. Slotted and drilled have less surface area, so compared to stock, if both trucks were doing 70, your stock rotors take about 260 feet IIRC from the Ford test. Converting to slotted, its single one-time emergency stopping distance is closer to 300 feet. Slotted and drilled rotors help on constant heat application such as track day, 0-70, back down to 30, speed up to 100, back down to 25 for the corner. I used to do extreme Auto-X with a Mitsubishi Eclipse and even with a turbo and constant left foot braking, those rotors didnt get anywhere near hot enough for slotted/drilled. I actually swapped back to stock when I did a stop comparison and did a couple of timed trials. I lost about 3-4 seconds with the S/D rotors. Formula 1, 600CBRs, GT500s, and professional motorsports definitely need them. AutoX? It can be debated, more of a preference. In fact, I know more Lightning rodders prefer double-wall vaned over drilled and slotted for their trailer queens. But on a daily driver truck? Waste of money.

Jersey_Joe
05-29-2013, 07:34 AM
The double-walled vaned rotors that come stock your truck are perfect, they dissipate heat enough for one emergency stop at 70mph without fade. Slotted and drilled have less surface area, so compared to stock, if both trucks were doing 70, your stock rotors take about 260 feet IIRC from the Ford test. Converting to slotted, its single one-time emergency stopping distance is closer to 300 feet. Slotted and drilled rotors help on constant heat application such as track day, 0-70, back down to 30, speed up to 100, back down to 25 for the corner. I used to do extreme Auto-X with a Mitsubishi Eclipse and even with a turbo and constant left foot braking, those rotors didnt get anywhere near hot enough for slotted/drilled. I actually swapped back to stock when I did a stop comparison and did a couple of timed trials. I lost about 3-4 seconds with the S/D rotors. Formula 1, 600CBRs, GT500s, and professional motorsports definitely need them. AutoX? It can be debated, more of a preference. In fact, I know more Lightning rodders prefer double-wall vaned over drilled and slotted for their trailer queens. But on a daily driver truck? Waste of money.

Nice write professor. As always lol

dchawk81
05-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Plain jane flat rotors on my Navigator and I can still give the nephews bloody noses.

RexReid
05-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Hey Rhino,

Flareside has a point and so do you. My truth is that there are no absolutes and different set ups all have variables. All that really matters is stopping distance and our trucks are heavy. The back tires don't do much, but they do help. They slotted rotors for a reason though--to shorten stopping distance/improve braking.

RhinoZ24
05-28-2014, 09:28 AM
Hey Rhino,

Flareside has a point and so do you. My truth is that there are no absolutes and different set ups all have variables. All that really matters is stopping distance and our trucks are heavy. The back tires don't do much, but they do help. They slotted rotors for a reason though--to shorten stopping distance/improve braking.

They all have a purpose, but when it comes to weight you want as much surface area as possible, especially if you are towing near your max capacity. Drilled and slotted rotors are to keep brakes cooler and have their purpose, but normally it would be for stopping speed, not weight. You can buy what you want and either way you will still stop. I just like plain rotors for my truck.

dchawk81
05-28-2014, 09:30 AM
I like plain rotors because they're cheap.

RhinoZ24
05-28-2014, 09:31 AM
That too lol

dchawk81
07-08-2014, 11:00 AM
I bought heavy duty pads. They seem to matter more than the kind of rotor you have. The old pads had plenty of...uh...pad...left on them but they still sucked compared to these penis enlargers. Grunt. I grunt a lot more now that I have man pads.

RhinoZ24
07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Lmfao!!

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows

Jersey_Joe
07-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Lmao