PDA

View Full Version : Low oil pressure

miketrow21@gmail.com
02-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Why does my truck tell me low oil pressure and it idles really low and dies once in awhile

lee reece
02-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Why does my truck tell me low oil pressure and it idles really low and dies once in awhile

The low rpm is causing oil pressure to drop. Find out what's causing low rpm and this will solve it self!

RhinoZ24
02-02-2013, 12:51 AM
^Exactly, but also check your oil level and when was the last time you got an oil change? If it's not that, the low idle could be a number of things, a clogged fuel filter or fuel system (pump, lines, injectors, etc.) a very dirty airfilter, or a dirty throttle body. Any check engine lights on? Also how many miles on the truck and have the spark plugs ever been changed?

Raptor05121
02-02-2013, 06:03 AM
OP, want to give us a little more information? Are we talking about a 1965 Silverado, 2013 F-150, what? Also, give us engine and transmission, year and mileage.

How are you getting the "low oil pressure reading"? The gauge on the dash? It could be a sending unit problem, or it genuinely could be a low oil pressure problem.

A quick diagnosis- With the engine off, clean off your dipstick and stick it back in. Run the engine for about 10 seconds and shut if off again. Remove the dipstick and you should have oil splashed up all over it. If so, you are probably looking at a sending unit failure. If there is no splashed oil or very little, you possibly have a clogged or defective sump pump.

lesliehughes
02-02-2013, 09:55 AM

What year

miketrow21@gmail.com
02-03-2013, 09:34 AM
it is an 05 f150 5.4 155k miles the dash told me low oil pressure went of havent seen it sence but idels low i was told by auto zone test it was a bad cam sensor so i changed that unfortunately broke it and went into my oil pan so i am tild thats where it goes but the problems didnt get fixed by new cam sensor

lee reece
02-04-2013, 08:23 PM
it is an 05 f150 5.4 155k miles the dash told me low oil pressure went of havent seen it sence but idels low i was told by auto zone test it was a bad cam sensor so i changed that unfortunately broke it and went into my oil pan so i am tild thats where it goes but the problems didnt get fixed by new cam sensor

Yeah there in the parts business ?

Raptor05121
02-04-2013, 10:09 PM
^^^ smart man

lesliehughes
02-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Yeah there in the parts business ?

I have a 2001 F150 and I have 175000 miles on it. My truck shows low oil pressure when it's cold and sometimes just because. I've put a manual gauge and it has great pressure. I'd check it with a manual gauge and if it's good let it be. Parts stores will sell as much as they can. Even if it's not the solution to a problem.

Raptor05121
02-08-2013, 03:11 AM
^^ It shouldn't

Ford utilizes what are called "dummy gauges" which don't show true readings on a scale. They tend to stay put when they are in normal operating zones. I don't like them per-se, but I see where they are coming from. I had a girl driving a Suburban once ask why her oil pressure gauge moved as shes stopped and drove. I told her she needed to drive a Ford.

tl;dr- If it moves, there is a problem.

RhinoZ24
02-08-2013, 03:43 AM
^haha nice answer for her question lol. And yeah I noticed Ford is one of the only ones that use those gauges.