PDA

View Full Version : turn signal flasher

pjohnston
01-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Is the flasher for the turn signals next to the hazards flasher

Jersey_Joe
01-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Pj. Ur gonna have to broaden that question a little bit. Not really sure how to answer

RhinoZ24
01-30-2013, 08:18 PM
X2^ did you mean fuse?

Raptor05121
01-31-2013, 12:45 AM
The EP-27 flasher relay is located underneath the steering column behind the dash board, located inside a black box. The best way to locate it is to engage your four ways and get on your back and feel for the clicking.

pjohnston
01-31-2013, 08:03 AM
I've located the flasher for the hazards but because the turn signals aren't working i don't know if the other flasher is for the turn signals

----------

There are 2 flashers or relays in the black box

Raptor05121
01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
it should be the same, i could be mistaken

Jersey_Joe
01-31-2013, 09:25 PM
Not likely that u r mistaking

pjohnston
02-01-2013, 03:27 PM
This is the item in question. I know the blue one is for the hazards

Raptor05121
02-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Then they both do the same because the blue also does your turn signals.

pjohnston
02-02-2013, 07:19 AM
So if the blue one does the turn signals too, y would the hazards work and not the turn signals

Raptor05121
02-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Define "not work".

Do they click? Do they light up on the dash? Do the bulbs not light up?

I'm willing to bed you have a tilt-steering wheel, right?

pjohnston
02-02-2013, 08:55 PM
For awhile when I would use either left or right, it would make a buzzing noise and the light on the dash would go on and off. Now when i turn either on nothing happens. And yes i have the tilt steering wheel. Is there a defect with the switch in the column

Raptor05121
02-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Yes. This is a very common problem for 10th gens with tilt-steering. The fix: First, disconnect the battery - you don't want any chance of that airbag hitting you when your face is right in front of it.

To expose the steering column to access the connector:
1) Use your fingers to pry up the dash trim that surrounds the steering column. It is held by four clips, just like the trim around the stereo and heater controls. Start at the bottom, they just pop loose.
2) There are three phillips screws holding the bottom half of the steering column wrapper to the top half. Take them out. There is a fourth hole used to release the cylinder lock. More on that in the next step.
3) The cylinder lock must come out to remove the top half of the steering column enclosure. Don't worry - its simple. You need a very thin screwdriver or a piece of coat hanger wire. Put the key in the lock and turn it to the "Run" position. There is a small hole in the bottom of the lock cylinder housing. You need to push the wire into that hole to push back the spring-loaded retainer pin, then just pull the lockset straight out. That's what the fourth hole in the bottom cover is for. However, I found it easier to undo the bottom cover and move it aside so that I could see the hole in the housing.
4) once the lock cylinder has been pulled, the top cover can be wiggled out and set aside.

Fixing the connector:
1) refer to this picture.

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/images/11140-15709-212761.jpg

See the piece of steel wire that snakes between items #1 and #2 in the picture, essentially creating a new clip where the original has broken off.

2) Note the triangular bump that would have retained the clip that broke off the connector ( item #1 in the image). With a very small drill bit carefully drill through the center of it,close to the body of the socket. You can only approach it at a steep angle so drill from both sides, until you have a through opening.
3) Use a dremel tool with a small cutting disk to make notches in the back of the connector, directly in line with the broken clip (item #2 in the image) be careful not to cut any wires.
4) Using needlenose pliers, thread a piece if thin, but sturdy steel wire through the hole that you drilled, then wrap the ends around the back of the connector so that it is in the notches that you cut.

Note, if you keep your steering wheel very low, or use your tilt mechanism regularly, I recommend that you splice some length into those wires, or stretch them somehow, so that the problem doesn't reoccur.

pjohnston
02-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Ok that sounds like fun. Wat would cause that clip to break? I think I've adjusted the tilt maybe 5 times since i bought the truck in '01. And y would the clip cause the blinkers to stop working? I want to make sure that is the problem before i go drilling and cutting stuff.

----------

Also the same switch arm controls the wipers as well, so why wouldn't i be having problems with them?

Raptor05121
02-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Old age. Connectors get loose, etc. Clip breaks, you get intermittent connection between the MFS and the rest of the truck. Wipers are on a pot, not actual switches that get physical wear and tear like the turn signals

pjohnston
02-04-2013, 05:06 AM
Raptor05121, so you think that is my problem? You have been the most helpful person and you have responded to all my posts.

----------

Your advice is very much appreciated

Jersey_Joe
02-04-2013, 06:00 AM
That's why we call him the professor. Lol

pjohnston
02-04-2013, 07:14 AM
Ye i can tell lol

Raptor05121
02-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Yeah check it out. It takes but 2 minutes to pull the covers off. You and wiggle stuff and see if your blinkers work

pjohnston
02-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Ill give it a shot and see what happens

TDMBear
01-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Yes. This is a very common problem for 10th gens with tilt-steering.

I am guessing this is the same issue I am having with my 04. When the head lights are off and I use the left turn signal all of the dash lights flash in sync with the turn signal. When the head lights are on and I use the left turn signal the signal lights are just solid, not flashing, but on.