PDA

View Full Version : 3 barely perceptable thumps when stopping and starting

Hoganflagle
01-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Hi;

I noticed my 2010 F150 XLT supercab 5.4 auto trans developed a barely perceptable thump when I had about 7,000 miles on it. This thump is so subtle that unless you are paying attention you would not notice. I almost thought it was sticky/loose brake shoes. It would thump as I was coming to a stop with my foot on the brake, then it would thump as I released the brake pedal, then it would thump as I pushed on the gas. I took it into Ford and told them about it. I was told that they were aware and they lubed something in the drive train and the thumping was gone, for another 7 or 8 thousand miles. I took it in again and once again they lubed something and the thumping was gone. Last week at 23,000 miles when I took it in for an oil change I asked the new quick lube/oil change manager to lube the drive train again as the thumping was back. He gave a me a strange look and said ok. When my truck was ready he said he lubed it but did not think that was the issue and said that I should get an appt with the Service Dept as he thought there might be a "Yoke" change out on the truck. This time the thumping was still there so they did not repeat whatever the previous lubes had been. I have an appt tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone has been through this so I will know what is going on. The truck was purchased in July 2010 and I do have an extended warranty as well.

Raptor05121
01-28-2013, 08:50 PM
Ford would be the best bet with this. My truck has a similar problem, but it has to do with the front balljoints.

Hoganflagle
02-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Ford would be the best bet with this. My truck has a similar problem, but it has to do with the front balljoints.

The issue is that the lube in the drive shaft splines is either getting gunked up causing friction. Ford cleaned and changed the lube and installed some sort of cowling to try to hold down contaminants.

Seemd to work as the thumping went away. Just have to see how long it stays away.

LariatSpCrw
02-14-2013, 08:19 AM
My 2011 with 18,000 is doing the same thing.