PDA

View Full Version : Put 285/70/17 on stock 4x4!

rangerwheelinmike
12-21-2011, 11:09 PM
All the tire shops say 285s wont fit stock.Well they do i got 285/70/17s on stock rims and they don't rub at all they look real good to! so don't let them fool you.
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae56/rangerwheelinmike/122111145507.jpg

screw4us
01-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Good info! I was told the same thing about my 01 crew cab and shes rolling on 305/70/17s completely stock except I took off the mud flaps.

kozal01
01-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Ive found tire shops dont know jack about what fits on what. One shop laughed at me when I was pricing 33" MT's for my Ranger, needless to say I did not buy tires from them. I was also told by Discount a few years ago that I could never fit 31's stock. ha ha

bearskinner
01-02-2012, 06:31 PM
are the 285's a load range E tire? I dont know why the new trucks all come with "C" rated tires, I would like to at least put a pair on the rear for towing. My truck has factory 18's, but they make the same tire in C and E........... they must have saved a couple bucks, now it will cost me a whole lot more.

rangerwheelinmike
01-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Ive found tire shops dont know jack about what fits on what. One shop laughed at me when I was pricing 33" MT's for my Ranger, needless to say I did not buy tires from them. I was also told by Discount a few years ago that I could never fit 31's stock. ha ha
me and my buddy took my ranger up to walmart to get the 36-14.5s blanced just did it as a joke and they wouldent even touch it they told me i was stupid and gunna kill someone becouse my truck couldent handle them tires lol

rangerwheelinmike
01-02-2012, 09:29 PM
are the 285's a load range E tire? I dont know why the new trucks all come with "C" rated tires, I would like to at least put a pair on the rear for towing. My truck has factory 18's, but they make the same tire in C and E........... they must have saved a couple bucks, now it will cost me a whole lot more.

mine are load ranger D

Raptor05121
01-02-2012, 10:19 PM
any pics of the width? I went from 255s to 275s. I love extra traction, especially in the rain

rangerwheelinmike
01-02-2012, 10:46 PM
no i dont have any right now ill get one from the back

bearskinner
01-03-2012, 06:27 AM
any pics of the width? I went from 255s to 275s. I love extra traction, especially in the rain

my truck came with 275s from the factory (275/65/18's) its a 2011 4X4 super crew, and my Dads 2001 super crew came with 275's too (275/60/17's) and his is a 2wd. I have driven it twice in blinding snow storms, both times in 4WD, and watched many cars slide around and crash. Its a very stable platform

Hawkeye
01-03-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm no expert, but have put larger tires than the specs call for. The manufacturer leaves itself SOME le way on size. However I believe its against the law for a dealer to knowingly sell larger tires than the Manufacturer calls for. It's probably is in some of that 2 pages of small print that comes with the tires from any good sized tire company. A little extra width as long as it doesn't rub, what harm can it do. However, every time you increase the diameter you change the gear ratio. At some point it is possible to over do it. As far as traction don't forget 200 lbs per square inch will give you more traction on slippery roads than 150 lbs per square inch. (these figure are for comparison only) Sooo, the narrower tire will give more traction on snow, ice or water than a wider tire. In Maine, when I was a kid, the town trucks always remover the outside rear dual when they put the snow plows on, why? Traction.

dixie_boysles
01-03-2012, 08:20 PM
im gonna run a 285 on mine more than likely

rangerwheelinmike
01-03-2012, 09:49 PM
im gonna run a 285 on mine more than likely
i would forsure they look like they should be stock!

Carolina Boostin
01-04-2012, 05:27 PM
my dad is rockin 285s on his fiddy its a 01
im rockin 285s on my truck also and its a 06 ford ranger

Fordguy77
01-04-2012, 05:36 PM
me and my buddy took my ranger up to walmart to get the 36-14.5s blanced just did it as a joke and they wouldent even touch it they told me i was stupid and gunna kill someone becouse my truck couldent handle them tires lol

I'm no expert, but have put larger tires than the specs call for. The manufacturer leaves itself SOME le way on size. However I believe its against the law for a dealer to knowingly sell larger tires than the Manufacturer calls for. It's probably is in some of that 2 pages of small print that comes with the tires from any good sized tire company. A little extra width as long as it doesn't rub, what harm can it do. However, every time you increase the diameter you change the gear ratio. At some point it is possible to over do it. As far as traction don't forget 200 lbs per square inch will give you more traction on slippery roads than 150 lbs per square inch. (these figure are for comparison only) Sooo, the narrower tire will give more traction on snow, ice or water than a wider tire. In Maine, when I was a kid, the town trucks always remover the outside rear dual when they put the snow plows on, why? Traction.

Walmart will not mount or balance tires for a Vehicle with larger than stock tires. If it didn't come with it they wont touch it because of some liability laws, at least that's what they claim here in Co. And if you go to 4x4 shops they can sell and mount over sized tires for you, but you sign a liability waiver with them. I even had to do this at discount tire when we put Kateys 00' exploder on 31's stock. We were also told they wouldn't fit. And lo and behold they do haha. I think the issue is that the tire shops are issued a book with specs in it for vehicles, and are told to abide by whats in the book.

rangerwheelinmike
01-04-2012, 10:55 PM
discount put the 285s on my ranger the first time when it was stock then after it was lifted they put my 34s on it