PDA

View Full Version : 5.4 oil change to synthetic?

RobbyVmedia
03-03-2016, 03:53 PM
2002 5.4 f150, bought it from a guy who had work done to the motor (valve,heads,headers,cam) he was still using regular oil. I want to switch over to synthetic. Which brands, weights and oil filter are preferred?

(Back story of the truck. The guy i bought it from bought it from an old man with about 190xxx miles on it. The 2nd owner rebuilt the motor, added a shift kit, CAI and regeared it for 37s. I picked it up at 210xxx miles.)

Jersey_Joe
03-03-2016, 05:19 PM
I would use mobile 1 all day.
Welcome to the nation. Post up some pics!!

5Star tuned.....

----------

I use it myself

5Star tuned.....

BFEB
03-03-2016, 06:33 PM
X2

Ford Fan#1
03-03-2016, 10:01 PM
Ehh. I wouldn't do full synthetic. Maybe a blend? I've heard of the synthetic cleaning too much and knocking chunks of crap off and clogging up the oil screen ( starving the motor of oil )

Jersey_Joe
03-04-2016, 04:21 AM
Ehh. I wouldn't do full synthetic. Maybe a blend? I've heard of the synthetic cleaning too much and knocking chunks of crap off and clogging up the oil screen ( starving the motor of oil )
What?

5Star tuned.....

djfllmn
03-04-2016, 07:45 AM
What? 5Star tuned..... ^^^. If you have that issue then you have bigger problems

BFEB
03-04-2016, 08:44 AM
What? 5Star tuned..... hahahaha

Adam it's great that you're putting in the time and learning so much. However, you've also gotta learn what info to take to heart and what to take with a grain of salt. You can't just assume that because owner A had issue 1 and it caused issues 2, 3, and 4 that the same exact thing will happen to owner B. Every vehicle has its own maintenance history and just because it happened to a couple out of millions that it'll definitely happen to anyone else who does the same thing.

Ford Fan#1
03-04-2016, 08:47 AM
hahahaha Adam it's great that you're putting in the time and learning so much. However, you've also gotta learn what info to take to heart and what to take with a grain of salt. You can't just assume that because owner A had issue 1 and it caused issues 2, 3, and 4 that the same exact thing will happen to owner B. Every vehicle has its own maintenance history and just because it happened to a couple out of millions that it'll definitely happen to anyone else who does the same thing. well that was assuming you don't know the history or how often the oil was changed.. I'd run a blend a time or 2 then bang the old oil filter on something to see if any dirt or anything falls out. If not I'd say you should be good to run full synthetic. Just a precaution I'd take.. But it's up to the op.

Jersey_Joe
03-04-2016, 09:07 AM
^^^. If you have that issue then you have bigger problems
Heard that

5Star tuned.....

----------

well that was assuming you don't know the history or how often the oil was changed.. I'd run a blend a time or 2 then bang the old oil filter on something to see if any dirt or anything falls out. If not I'd say you should be good to run full synthetic. Just a precaution I'd take.. But it's up to the op.
Adam. The engine was rebuilt. If your knocking ur filter and things r coming out? U got issues! And should park it till u can pull it and find out why there is dirt in your engine

5Star tuned.....

Ford Fan#1
03-04-2016, 09:47 AM
Heard that 5Star tuned..... ---------- Adam. The engine was rebuilt. If your knocking ur filter and things r coming out? U got issues! And should park it till u can pull it and find out why there is dirt in your engine 5Star tuned..... there was but its all out now. The oil wasn't changed often enough. But since me and my brother have had it it's been changed exactly at 3,000 miles or alittle less then 3k.. Could be from my old K&N filter not fitting right. Leaves and crap was in the air box on the other side of the filter ( no leaves were inside the filter / intake assembly. But some dust was.) I have a few pictures of the oil filter adapter.. Or whatever it's called.. Along with a photo of the pcv valve and grommet out looking into the valve cover. http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt16/adamsmith11361/E164CC81-FFD7-4FCD-9F47-467542D8F088_zpso4vavsu2.jpg (http://s593.photobucket.com/user/adamsmith11361/media/E164CC81-FFD7-4FCD-9F47-467542D8F088_zpso4vavsu2.jpg.html) http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt16/adamsmith11361/41CD7BE9-FEA2-4013-A47D-0590C5CC8E81_zpslzdy2gpp.jpg (http://s593.photobucket.com/user/adamsmith11361/media/41CD7BE9-FEA2-4013-A47D-0590C5CC8E81_zpslzdy2gpp.jpg.html) as for the op. Sorry for jacking the thread. But yeah. Go ahead and run any oil you want.

RobbyVmedia
03-04-2016, 11:44 AM
Ford fan- Its all good.

Jersey joe- i was leaning that way

well ive heard alot of friends and other forum members ease-ing their way into a full blend. Im just looking for a member proven oil to switch to.

How the heck did leaves get in there? Sounds like that motor was left out in the open disassembled and put back together before you bought it

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

BFEB
03-04-2016, 12:34 PM
Ford fan- Its all good. Jersey joe- i was leaning that way well ive heard alot of friends and other forum members ease-ing their way into a full blend. Im just looking for a member proven oil to switch to. How the heck did leaves get in there? Sounds like that motor was left out in the open disassembled and put back together before you bought it Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk My truck is new to me and I went straight to Mobil 1 full syn on my first oil change that I did. It actually quieted the motor down a little. Haven't put enough miles on it to need to change it again so I'm not 100% sure how it looks other than what's on the dipstick and that looks very clean.

Ford Fan#1
03-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Ford fan- Its all good. Jersey joe- i was leaning that way well ive heard alot of friends and other forum members ease-ing their way into a full blend. Im just looking for a member proven oil to switch to. How the heck did leaves get in there? Sounds like that motor was left out in the open disassembled and put back together before you bought it Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk I honestly have no idea. The air box must not have been connected very well. Or from the fender? Pine needles were stuck in the filter though.. No "solids" came out of the oil. Just like.. A tiny bit of sand or something of that sort. It's all out though.. So that's good. As for synthetic motor oil I use Mobil 1 extended proformance in my mom's 2013 Explorer. Seems like good stuff.. The factory oil that was in it ( motorcraft ) made the valves tick. But after switching to Mobil 1 the valves have been quiet as can be. But it's had the mobil 1 in it since 5,000 miles. And it has 35,000 on it now. So there's my opinion on the oil that I would use.

djfllmn
03-04-2016, 01:47 PM
I honestly have no idea. The air box must not have been connected very well. Or from the fender? Pine needles were stuck in the filter though.. No "solids" came out of the oil. Just like.. A tiny bit of sand or something of that sort. It's all out though.. So that's good. As for synthetic motor oil I use Mobil 1 extended proformance in my mom's 2013 Explorer. Seems like good stuff.. The factory oil that was in it ( motorcraft ) made the valves tick. But after switching to Mobil 1 the valves have been quiet as can be. But it's had the mobil 1 in it since 5,000 miles. And it has 35,000 on it now. So there's my opinion on the oil that I would use. what? That makes no sense

Jersey_Joe
03-04-2016, 02:26 PM
what? That makes no sense
X2

5Star tuned.....

----------

I honestly have no idea. The air box must not have been connected very well. Or from the fender? Pine needles were stuck in the filter though.. No "solids" came out of the oil. Just like.. A tiny bit of sand or something of that sort. It's all out though.. So that's good. As for synthetic motor oil I use Mobil 1 extended proformance in my mom's 2013 Explorer. Seems like good stuff.. The factory oil that was in it ( motorcraft ) made the valves tick. But after switching to Mobil 1 the valves have been quiet as can be. But it's had the mobil 1 in it since 5,000 miles. And it has 35,000 on it now. So there's my opinion on the oil that I would use.
Sorry kiddo. But you are confusing me

5Star tuned.....

Ragnar
03-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Synthetic oil is synthetic oil. The difference in the brands is minimal. It's not like one company has the market cornered or has a different take on how to make it. Find one you like, and run with it.

Personally, I use the Valvoline High Milage stuff (full synthetic), and change it every 5K. Nothing makes any noise, and nothing has blown up.

RobbyVmedia
03-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the info guys, also run the same manufactured oil weight? Ive seen discussions where people run different weights.

Ford Fan#1
03-05-2016, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the info guys, also run the same manufactured oil weight? Ive seen discussions where people run different weights. Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk yes I'd use the recommended weight

Jersey_Joe
03-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys, also run the same manufactured oil weight? Ive seen discussions where people run different weights. Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Yes sir. Run the manufacture weight.

5Star tuned.....

RobbyVmedia
03-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys, ive just always weird things about switching over to synthetic. I pretty much figured it was easy as it sounds! Thanks again

Jersey_Joe
03-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Anytime.

5Star tuned.....