PDA

View Full Version : Cam swap

kdvorak2011
03-02-2016, 08:16 PM
As anyone done a cam swap on a 4.6 triton motor? I've got a 2006 xlt 4x4 with some 33s and was looking to get a little more grunt. I've already got an edge tuner, accel supercoils, and had some exhaust work done but nothing major. What kind of power gains could I pull out of my 4.6 triton with some different cams and what would I need to do the job correctly

Jersey_Joe
03-03-2016, 05:42 AM
As anyone done a cam swap on a 4.6 triton motor? I've got a 2006 xlt 4x4 with some 33s and was looking to get a little more grunt. I've already got an edge tuner, accel supercoils, and had some exhaust work done but nothing major. What kind of power gains could I pull out of my 4.6 triton with some different cams and what would I need to do the job correctly
Went to school with a Dvorak! Cool dude. Welcome to the nation. Listen. I'll b honest. The F-150 world. And the mustang GT world go hand in hand. You could find a really nice price on a pro charger supercharger. Or a gear change.
Now. Being a 4.6. U may have a terminator block. Check your bin and see if indeed u do or don't. The terminator was in the 03-04 cobra. And made its way to a few lincolns too. Ford kept it around awhile cause it did better than the old one. So. U may have one.
I've done the same thing. I have a 5.o. And yes. I blow off stock mustangs. Camaros. And "no chance"challengers lol. So I've felt your pain. Good luck. Let's us know what u decide. And throw up some pics of your ride

5Star tuned.....

kdvorak2011
03-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Unlike the 2007 and up 4.6, my truck still has the aluminum intake. I'm aware that I could get a pro charger system for a mustang and install it on my truck, but how would I know if I have a termi engine.

Jersey_Joe
03-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Vin

5Star tuned.....

----------

You'll have truck heads. But u may have the block

5Star tuned.....

kdvorak2011
03-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Can you help me answer another question? I know of a 2 valve 5.4 that has new timing chains and guides but needs a crank and bearings. Would it be worth swapping to the 5.4 and what would I have to do?

Jersey_Joe
03-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Can you help me answer another question? I know of a 2 valve 5.4 that has new timing chains and guides but needs a crank and bearings. Would it be worth swapping to the 5.4 and what would I have to do?
You could go that route. It will require a lot of doing tho. There is a thread on here about it somewhere lol. Can it be done. Absolutely. Is it worth it? It all depends on the person that wants to do it

5Star tuned.....

----------

My self. I took a 2v out of my 03 and installed the 4v gt500 block. Without the supercharger. Took me about two weeks to dial it all in. Man was it a beast. So. Can u do it? Heck ya u can. But do u? My new f150nation friend? That answer lies with u. Good luck. We r here to help

5Star tuned.....

kdvorak2011
03-04-2016, 04:13 PM
I know that the 2valve 5.4 is really nothing more than a bored out 4.6. They look exactly alike and I even think the intake from my 4.6 will fit it. All I should have to transfer over is the wiring harness from my 4.6. My computer should work fine. But my biggest concern is the transmission. I could probly just use the torque converter from the 5.4 and be ok because I've heard that by using the 4.6 torque converter it would over power the transmission.

RhinoZ24
03-04-2016, 08:49 PM
I know that the 2valve 5.4 is really nothing more than a bored out 4.6. They look exactly alike and I even think the intake from my 4.6 will fit it. All I should have to transfer over is the wiring harness from my 4.6. My computer should work fine. But my biggest concern is the transmission. I could probly just use the torque converter from the 5.4 and be ok because I've heard that by using the 4.6 torque converter it would over power the transmission.

Not bored out. It has a longer stroke. Both the 4.6 and 5.4 share the same bore of 3.55in. If I remember correctly. That's what allows the heads and intakes to work for both. And yes the 5.4 had a beefier transmission to handle the extra HP and torque from the larger engine. Like Joe said it will take some work but it's doable. I'd use the computer from the 5.4 though. Different stroke means different timing of the cams to open and close the valves, as well as when the plugs fire. Good luck if you go this route! Let us know

Jersey_Joe
03-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Not bored out. It has a longer stroke. Both the 4.6 and 5.4 share the same bore of 3.55in. If I remember correctly. That's what allows the heads an intakes to work for both. And yes the 5.4 had a beefier transmission to handle the extra HP am torque from the larger engine. Like Joe said it will take some work but it's doable. I'd use the computer from the 5.4 though. Different stroke means different timing of the cams to open and close the valves, as well as when the plugs fire. Good luck if you go this route! Let us know
Look at u go kid. Mr engineer!!

5Star tuned.....

RhinoZ24
03-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Look at u go kid. Mr engineer!!

5Star tuned.....

Surprisingly school has come in handy haha

kdvorak2011
05-02-2016, 06:14 AM
Would I necessarily have to have the other computer. It would be any different than stroking my 4.6. The computer should tell my injectors and coils when to fire based on when the crank sensor tells them to. So whether it be a 5.4 or 4.6 the cams are both already timed to the crank. The 5.4 just has a longer stroke. The timing in the computer shouldn't have anything to do with it. It's still going to reach tdc the same time the 4.6 will. Please fill me in if I'm wrong. If I go this route I intend on using the older 2v 5.4 in place of my 2v 4.6.