PDA

View Full Version : Changed radiator after a leak - heater core leaking now

rvsmith70
02-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Hello folks,

Last month I noticed a coolant leak from one of the crimped seams of the radiator on my 1991 F150 (6-cyl, flatbed - 95,000 original miles).

Since it is winter, and my off-seasonfor work - I went ahead and changed the radiator, as well as all the coolant. (And the thermostat and the radiator cap and upper and lower hoses)

Now - a month later, after a 4-hour drive, I noticed my reservoir is a little low. So I topped up the fluid again... The evidence is showing of a heater core leak. (Suddenly getting fogged windshield, and a small puddle of coolant on the passenger floorboard).

Changing the heater core looks to be a straightforward job on this F150 - but my real question is about timing of the 2 leaks. What are the odds of BOTH the radiator and the heater core developing leaks within 30 days of each other? Shaking my head....

Rex S.

Sent from my STUDIO X PLUS using Tapatalk

rvsmith70
02-27-2016, 04:08 PM
Changed the heater core this morning. Less than an hour to complete. Crossing my fingers now. ;)

Sent from my STUDIO X PLUS using Tapatalk

Jersey_Joe
03-01-2016, 03:01 PM
How did unmake out?

5Star tuned.....

stanvanover
11-04-2018, 09:05 PM
Hello folks,

Last month I noticed a coolant leak from one of the crimped seams of the radiator on my 1991 F150 (6-cyl, flatbed - 95,000 original miles).

Since it is winter, and my off-seasonfor work - I went ahead and changed the radiator, as well as all the coolant. (And the thermostat and the radiator cap and upper and lower hoses)

Now - a month later, after a 4-hour drive, I noticed my reservoir is a little low. So I topped up the fluid again... The evidence is showing of a heater core leak. (Suddenly getting fogged windshield, and a small puddle of coolant on the passenger floorboard).

Changing the heater core looks to be a straightforward job on this F150 - but my real question is about timing of the 2 leaks. What are the odds of BOTH the radiator and the heater core developing leaks within 30 days of each other? Shaking my head....

Rex S.

Sent from my STUDIO X PLUS using TapatalkElectrolysis is causing the issue maybe

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk