PDA

View Full Version : Paint; Touch up or Repaint.

mdelia
01-19-2013, 06:30 PM
My dealer damaged the paint on my FX4's passenger door. They made 3 small (but deep) scratches. They admit liability & have offered to fix it any way that I prefer (brush touch up or spray repaint). Color is tuxedo black metallic. They "strongly advise" against the spray paint fix, because (quote); "breaking the factory paint seal is asking for rust problems down the road." Is that true (or are they just trying to avoid the higher cost of doing the job right)? They attempted the brush touch method once already & it's actually more of a noticeable "imperfection" in the finish than the scratches. They claim the job was "rushed" & the brush touch up could be done much better if I leave the truck with them overnight. Should I make them spray the door or entire passenger side? I would appreciate any advice especially from an auto body/paint pro.
Thanks,
MD

djfllmn
01-19-2013, 06:53 PM
My dealer damaged the paint on my FX4's passenger door. They made 3 small (but deep) scratches. They admit liability & have offered to fix it any way that I prefer (brush touch up or spray repaint). Color is tuxedo black metallic. They "strongly advise" against the spray paint fix, because (quote); "breaking the factory paint seal is asking for rust problems down the road." Is that true (or are they just trying to avoid the higher cost of doing the job right)? They attempted the brush touch method once already & it's actually more of a noticeable "imperfection" in the finish than the scratches. They claim the job was "rushed" & the brush touch up could be done much better if I leave the truck with them overnight. Should I make them spray the door or entire passenger side? I would appreciate any advice especially from an auto body/paint pro.
Thanks,
MD

Get it resprayed...you have nothing to worry about...the dealer is just trying to spend as little as possible..

Sent from my HTC One X using F150 App

RhinoZ24
01-19-2013, 07:02 PM
I agree, and respray will look better than touch up.

Jersey_Joe
01-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Yessir re spray. Good luck.

mdelia
02-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Update: Thanks for all of your input. FYI;

Took it back to dealer, had it sprayed. They did a great job; "back to new" again!

BFEB
02-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Good choice. Always better to have it uniform.

RhinoZ24
02-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Agreed^

Jersey_Joe
02-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Indeed. That's great to hear

lee83
02-25-2013, 05:57 PM
There jackin you around. Period. Make them fix it right. I paint tux black all the time it's easy to match. Tell them to take a about .3-.5 of the green out if there mixing a half pint on PPG Deltron system.

----------

Guess I'm a tad bit late on the response. Just read above. Got past the 1st post and couldn't believe a dealer body shop pulled that.