PDA

View Full Version : Rear Steer?

Papa_J
02-07-2016, 07:05 PM
I've had my 05 F150 Lariat SCREW for 2 years now, and I'm getting an odd rear steer feeling at highway speeds when hitting bumps or when there are surface changes in the road. It almost feels like the rear end wants to go to the left, but the wheels don't actually break loose.
It's got me kind of unnerved. I know I should expect it to ride like my F250, but this is nuts. Nothing appears to be broken or disconnected in the driveline. I have new shocks on order, since it still has the factory shocks, but I wouldn't think that would cause the wobble/shimmy/steer I'm getting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Jersey_Joe
02-07-2016, 07:21 PM
I've had my 05 F150 Lariat SCREW for 2 years now, and I'm getting an odd rear steer feeling at highway speeds when hitting bumps or when there are surface changes in the road. It almost feels like the rear end wants to go to the left, but the wheels don't actually break loose. It's got me kind of unnerved. I know I should expect it to ride like my F250, but this is nuts. Nothing appears to be broken or disconnected in the driveline. I have new shocks on order, since it still has the factory shocks, but I wouldn't think that would cause the wobble/shimmy/steer I'm getting. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Welcome to the forum. Everything tight? U need shocks?

5Star tuned.....

Papa_J
02-07-2016, 08:02 PM
Thanks. Yes, all u-bolts tight are tight on the lead springs. Shock mounts are solid too. I ordered Monroe Sensa-trac coil-over shocks to help with rear bounce/day when towing out camper. I'm trying to decide on whether or not to get a rear sway bar to help with the side to side body roll, but if these are signs of a bigger issue, I would rather hold off.

Papa_J
02-09-2016, 03:59 PM
I'm leaning towards it being a combination of worn shocks and possibly worn/stretched out U-bolts causing some axle wrap.

Jersey_Joe
02-09-2016, 06:11 PM
I'm leaning towards it being a combination of worn shocks and possibly worn/stretched out U-bolts causing some axle wrap. Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
That's where I woulda start too. Lookin at anything special? As far as shocks?

5Star tuned.....

Papa_J
02-10-2016, 07:13 AM
I have the Monroe Sensa-trac coil overs on order. They should be in this week.

Jersey_Joe
02-10-2016, 10:10 AM
And hopefully they will do the trick !! Keep us posted

5Star tuned.....

Papa_J
02-15-2016, 10:26 PM
Well, 20 minutes on Friday, and the new coil over shocks are in. All I can say is "Wow! What a difference!" the left rear was completely shot and extended and retracted with gravity alone. The right rear wasn't much better and gurgled as it cycled. The new shocks are amazing. The ride was drastically improved, and it quieted the ride according to my wife and daughter. I'm assuming that this is because the shocks and coils are taking more of the load and I'm not riding on lead springs alone. I haven't had it up to highway speeds yet, but I'll know for certain tomorrow and will provide an update.
Now, I'm going to HAVE to replace the front struts, since the ride can only get better. 128k on her, so she's well past due for them.

2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCREW, 5.4L 4x4

Jersey_Joe
02-15-2016, 10:29 PM
Glad to hear bud

5Star tuned.....