PDA

View Full Version : 96 F150 4.9 Wont Start

TBar12
01-06-2016, 05:16 PM
I was driving home on the highway last weekend and I was going about 60 my truck bucked a little bit then a 1/2 mile later it died on me and would crank but not start it also gave me a P0320 Ignition/Distributor module circuit input code. This is the 3rd time my truck has done this it did it last year in February when my timing gears busted then last October when my cap and rotor went bad. So I checked for spark like usual and no spark, I then checked to see if my distributor was moving and all it did was buck when I crank the engine. So it's either my timing gears again which doesn't make sense or my distributor which when I checked it last year before I found out it was my timing gears it looked fine so that makes no sense either so is there a 3rd option?

TBar12
01-07-2016, 12:40 PM
So I took out the distributor and found the gear in it is grounded down. What can cause that

Jersey_Joe
01-07-2016, 06:12 PM
So I took out the distributor and found the gear in it is grounded down. What can cause that
Wear and tear. How long has it been in there?

5Star tuned.....

TBar12
01-07-2016, 11:19 PM
How long has what been in there? So we got the new distributor in there got it to start up and now it's louder than before and making a knock my cousin who's a mechanic is going to check it Sunday and see how the gear is on the cam shaft. He said something about it not reaching oil pressure at the valves or something now I'm worried something else is really bad.

Jersey_Joe
01-08-2016, 05:48 AM
How long has what been in there? So we got the new distributor in there got it to start up and now it's louder than before and making a knock my cousin who's a mechanic is going to check it Sunday and see how the gear is on the cam shaft. He said something about it not reaching oil pressure at the valves or something now I'm worried something else is really bad.
Your distributer. Isn't that what we r talkin bout? Lol. All good. Is it original?
Is the timing set right?

5Star tuned.....

TBar12
01-08-2016, 08:23 AM
I've never replaced the distributor before and I've had the truck for 3 years. Yeah usually the vehicle will make weird sounds when not times right but he was timing it and the sound wasn't going away so now he wants to take it back and make sure everything is right

Jersey_Joe
01-08-2016, 10:58 AM
I've never replaced the distributor before and I've had the truck for 3 years. Yeah usually the vehicle will make weird sounds when not times right but he was timing it and the sound wasn't going away so now he wants to take it back and make sure everything is right
Right on. Good luck. Keep us posted

5Star tuned.....

TBar12
01-11-2016, 08:53 AM
So we took the distributor back out and found out the gear on the camshaft is busted so now I have to get it towed to a shop and probably spend over a grand to replace the camshaft...how fun.