PDA

View Full Version : 2001 metal scraping sound suspension???

sean.m.salas.1
12-03-2015, 06:45 AM
So let's gist start saying I changed the brakes last night and noticed nothing out the ordinary.

Whenever I do left turns from a stop or on the highway and go left I sometimes get a scraping sound kinda like a little piece of metal scraping against something(like a hissing scraping sound) on the wheel area. With the wheel of last night I changed the brakes and didn't notice anything wedged in the brake shield or anything. Everything looked as it should've. I heard it might be the iwe trying to engage 4x4 but when I engage 4x4 while it happens to see if it stops like some suggested nothing happens.
The only way for the noise to stop is I have to slow down and get back under 35mph. As soon as I hit 35 it stops. This noise used to be intermittent but now it's cold I can always expect it to happen every time I drive. I just slow down and it stops until the next tone it decides to do it again.
I'm literally at a loss cuz I don't know what this could be. I'll get a video of it later this afternoon but just thought if anyone knew what it is.

I've ruled out these(only because I know what they are like). It's not wheel bearing, iwe, brake pads.

Any help would be appreciated. I can't get into the mechanic until next week so just thought I might check it out if someone can give me a direction.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Ford Fan#1
12-03-2015, 06:52 AM
So let's gist start saying I changed the brakes last night and noticed nothing out the ordinary. Whenever I do left turns from a stop or on the highway and go left I sometimes get a scraping sound kinda like a little piece of metal scraping against something(like a hissing scraping sound) on the wheel area. With the wheel of last night I changed the brakes and didn't notice anything wedged in the brake shield or anything. Everything looked as it should've. I heard it might be the iwe trying to engage 4x4 but when I engage 4x4 while it happens to see if it stops like some suggested nothing happens. The only way for the noise to stop is I have to slow down and get back under 35mph. As soon as I hit 35 it stops. This noise used to be intermittent but now it's cold I can always expect it to happen every time I drive. I just slow down and it stops until the next tone it decides to do it again. I'm literally at a loss cuz I don't know what this could be. I'll get a video of it later this afternoon but just thought if anyone knew what it is. I've ruled out these(only because I know what they are like). It's not wheel bearing, iwe, brake pads. Any help would be appreciated. I can't get into the mechanic until next week so just thought I might check it out if someone can give me a direction. Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk think you can get it on video? That might help a little. Welcome to the forum btw

Jersey_Joe
12-03-2015, 08:03 AM
So let's gist start saying I changed the brakes last night and noticed nothing out the ordinary. Whenever I do left turns from a stop or on the highway and go left I sometimes get a scraping sound kinda like a little piece of metal scraping against something(like a hissing scraping sound) on the wheel area. With the wheel of last night I changed the brakes and didn't notice anything wedged in the brake shield or anything. Everything looked as it should've. I heard it might be the iwe trying to engage 4x4 but when I engage 4x4 while it happens to see if it stops like some suggested nothing happens. The only way for the noise to stop is I have to slow down and get back under 35mph. As soon as I hit 35 it stops. This noise used to be intermittent but now it's cold I can always expect it to happen every time I drive. I just slow down and it stops until the next tone it decides to do it again. I'm literally at a loss cuz I don't know what this could be. I'll get a video of it later this afternoon but just thought if anyone knew what it is. I've ruled out these(only because I know what they are like). It's not wheel bearing, iwe, brake pads. Any help would be appreciated. I can't get into the mechanic until next week so just thought I might check it out if someone can give me a direction. Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Hey dude. Welcome to the forum. I had a similar noise.( hard to nail down without hearing it) come from my 03 150. Turned out it was the hub. I can't tell u that's what your prob is on your truck. But that's what it was for me. After thinking it was my brakes

5Star tuned.....

----------

Good luck. And keep us posted. Try loading a vid and some pics. We try the best we can to help

5Star tuned.....

sean.m.salas.1
12-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the fast replies. This is a good community. I will get big once I get off in about 5 hours. I'll check into the hub and see, thank you very much for that.

----------

I did find a video of what it sounds like. Exactly what the guy says in his description is what's happening. https://youtu.be/akqB2ARWzgM

sean.m.salas.1
12-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Posted a video of what it sounds like in last post

Jersey_Joe
12-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Posted a video of what it sounds like in last post Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk and could your caliper b hung up?

5Star tuned.....

sean.m.salas.1
12-04-2015, 08:12 AM
and could your caliper b hung up?

5Star tuned.....
I'm not sure how to tell that. Never had a bad caliper.

Ford Fan#1
12-04-2015, 08:29 AM
So let's gist start saying I changed the brakes last night and noticed nothing out the ordinary. Whenever I do left turns from a stop or on the highway and go left I sometimes get a scraping sound kinda like a little piece of metal scraping against something(like a hissing scraping sound) on the wheel area. With the wheel of last night I changed the brakes and didn't notice anything wedged in the brake shield or anything. Everything looked as it should've. I heard it might be the iwe trying to engage 4x4 but when I engage 4x4 while it happens to see if it stops like some suggested nothing happens. The only way for the noise to stop is I have to slow down and get back under 35mph. As soon as I hit 35 it stops. This noise used to be intermittent but now it's cold I can always expect it to happen every time I drive. I just slow down and it stops until the next tone it decides to do it again. I'm literally at a loss cuz I don't know what this could be. I'll get a video of it later this afternoon but just thought if anyone knew what it is. I've ruled out these(only because I know what they are like). It's not wheel bearing, iwe, brake pads. Any help would be appreciated. I can't get into the mechanic until next week so just thought I might check it out if someone can give me a direction. Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk maybe your new rotors are rubbing on the backing plates? Mine did it until I pulled on the new ones. My left side has a noise but it sounds like rubber rubbing

sean.m.salas.1
12-04-2015, 08:30 AM
maybe your new rotors are rubbing on the backing plates? Mine did it until I pulled on the new ones. My left side has a noise but it sounds like rubber rubbing
I don't have new rotors. Just new brake pads. Rotors were good tho when I checked then with the wheels off.

Jersey_Joe
12-04-2015, 08:45 AM
maybe your new rotors are rubbing on the backing plates? Mine did it until I pulled on the new ones. My left side has a noise but it sounds like rubber rubbing
If they r rubbing the backing plates them bend em back dude.

5Star tuned.....

Ford Fan#1
12-04-2015, 09:02 AM
If they r rubbing the backing plates them bend em back dude. 5Star tuned..... the right side was the one that was rubbing ( metal noise ) but there's a rubber rubbing noise on the left. Unknown noise - YouTube (http://youtu.be/AM24Hdrg_t4) still haven't figured it out.

Jersey_Joe
12-04-2015, 09:18 AM
the right side was the one that was rubbing ( metal noise ) but there's a rubber rubbing noise on the left. Unknown noise - YouTube (http://youtu.be/AM24Hdrg_t4) still haven't figured it out.
I'm guess ur not driving

5Star tuned.....

Ford Fan#1
12-04-2015, 09:27 AM
I'm guess ur not driving 5Star tuned..... nope. But when I was searching for it the first time ( had another video but I deleted it ) i was driving so my brother could listen and try to figure out what it was. Ended up only finding one of the lower balljoints starting to dry rot. But other then that he didn't see anything that was rubbing. ( he was under the truck looking for a good 15 minutes. ) only happens if it's going ( as said in the video ) 5mph - 10mph. After school I'll get under it and look at the cv and the sway bar ends. Anyway. @ the op. What condition are the backing plates in? ( dust shields ) if they are rusted maybe some rust is rubbing on the rotor?

sean.m.salas.1
12-04-2015, 11:04 AM
nope. But when I was searching for it the first time ( had another video but I deleted it ) i was driving so my brother could listen and try to figure out what it was. Ended up only finding one of the lower balljoints starting to dry rot. But other then that he didn't see anything that was rubbing. ( he was under the truck looking for a good 15 minutes. ) only happens if it's going ( as said in the video ) 5mph - 10mph. After school I'll get under it and look at the cv and the sway bar ends. Anyway. @ the op. What condition are the backing plates in? ( dust shields ) if they are rusted maybe some rust is rubbing on the rotor?
They are pretty rusted. I'll have to recheck that when I get off work. Thanks

Ford Fan#1
12-04-2015, 11:07 AM
They are pretty rusted. I'll have to recheck that when I get off work. Thanks Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk no problem. If you want to replace them I can post a link to them if you want? They aren't required. They just cool the brakes faster.