PDA

View Full Version : 02 Model F150 4.6L suddenly no start - any ideas?

Denver
11-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Early last week my truck just didn't start, spun over fine, but nothing.
Next day everything's fine.
3rd day, nothing.
And hasn't started since.

It is an 02 model F150 2wd 4.6L Triton recently rolled over 100k.

I have charged and load tested the battery.
Sprayed starting fluid into the throttle body, it runs. (but only on the starting fluid, then immediately dies)
I checked all the fuses
Checked the relays
Checked the inertia switch
unscrewed the cap on the fuel rail and depressed the schrader valve. no pressure.
I changed the fuel filter
and today I changed the fuel filter.
02 model's do not have the circuit box above the spare I've learned
and I am thinking maybe the fuel pressure regulator.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd sure love to hear them.....
Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!

Jersey_Joe
11-16-2015, 06:22 PM
Early last week my truck just didn't start, spun over fine, but nothing. Next day everything's fine. 3rd day, nothing. And hasn't started since. It is an 02 model F150 2wd 4.6L Triton recently rolled over 100k. I have charged and load tested the battery. Sprayed starting fluid into the throttle body, it runs. (but only on the starting fluid, then immediately dies) I checked all the fuses Checked the relays Checked the inertia switch unscrewed the cap on the fuel rail and depressed the schrader valve. no pressure. I changed the fuel filter and today I changed the fuel filter. 02 model's do not have the circuit box above the spare I've learned and I am thinking maybe the fuel pressure regulator. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd sure love to hear them..... Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!
Fuel pump. Turn your key to the on position. You should hear it prime If not. You now need to find out why it's not turning on and priming. Is there a prob? Or is it shot.

5Star tuned.....

----------

Btw. Welcome to the forum

5Star tuned.....

Denver
11-16-2015, 08:22 PM
I cannot really hear the pump make any noise (that I can tell is the pump).
When I turn the key on, after a few seconds I hear like a relay type of clunk that sounds like it comes from in the tank.

There is 7.5 volts from the top left leg and 11.5 volts at the top right leg and nothing on either bottom leg of the plug for the fuel pump.

I read where someone had mentions a voltage drop, but I don't really see that happening either. I'm lost!!! Thanks for the reply!!

Ford Fan#1
11-16-2015, 10:28 PM
I cannot really hear the pump make any noise (that I can tell is the pump). When I turn the key on, after a few seconds I hear like a relay type of clunk that sounds like it comes from in the tank. There is 7.5 volts from the top left leg and 11.5 volts at the top right leg and nothing on either bottom leg of the plug for the fuel pump. I read where someone had mentions a voltage drop, but I don't really see that happening either. I'm lost!!! Thanks for the reply!! I've heard smacking the tank will sometimes kick the pump on if it's going out if it's in the run position

Denver
11-17-2015, 07:19 AM
I've heard smacking the tank will sometimes kick the pump on if it's going out if it's in the run position

Thanks, I'll give it a whack..

(fingers crossed)

Jersey_Joe
11-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a whack.. (fingers crossed)
Any luck?

5Star tuned.....

Denver
11-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Any luck?

5Star tuned.....

No, not yet. I cannot hear the pump, smacking the tank changed nothing :(

I'm trying to research what the voltage should be at the harness that plugs into the tank. Not sure if i'm just not getting enough to the pump or not.

Maybe PCM??

Jersey_Joe
11-20-2015, 08:02 AM
No, not yet. I cannot hear the pump, smacking the tank changed nothing :( I'm trying to research what the voltage should be at the harness that plugs into the tank. Not sure if i'm just not getting enough to the pump or not. Maybe PCM??
Haynes manual
If u can't hear it prime when u engage the key to on position. It is quite possibly your fuel pump is shot. How much fuel in the tank right now?

5Star tuned.....

Denver
11-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Haynes manual
If u can't hear it prime when u engage the key to on position. It is quite possibly your fuel pump is shot. How much fuel in the tank right now?

5Star tuned.....

The fuel tank has 1/4 tank of fuel. not on incline, sitting level.

I just replaced the pump. But I suppose it could have been bad right out of the box. I'll call the store where I bought it to see if they can test it for warranty.

I've asked other people to listen for the pump also, no one can hear the pump priming, just the solenoid clunking sound approx 3 or 4 seconds after turning the key on.

??

Ford Fan#1
11-23-2015, 10:23 AM
The fuel tank has 1/4 tank of fuel. not on incline, sitting level. I just replaced the pump. But I suppose it could have been bad right out of the box. I'll call the store where I bought it to see if they can test it for warranty. I've asked other people to listen for the pump also, no one can hear the pump priming, just the solenoid clunking sound approx 3 or 4 seconds after turning the key on. ?? what about the fuel pump shut off in the kick plate on the passanger side??? That could be the issue! It spaced me

Jersey_Joe
11-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Could b. I didn't even know they were on the trucks. I had an explorer that had one. Give it a try

5Star tuned.....

Ford Fan#1
11-25-2015, 01:37 PM
Could b. I didn't even know they were on the trucks. I had an explorer that had one. Give it a try 5Star tuned..... :D http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l536/adamsmith1136/986787B9-6E0F-408F-B11D-97A1073BF4AB_zpsmedrz5re.jpg (http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/adamsmith1136/media/986787B9-6E0F-408F-B11D-97A1073BF4AB_zpsmedrz5re.jpg.html)

Danf150
09-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Do you have gas

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk