PDA

View Full Version : Gauges go blank

masonic
11-02-2015, 10:23 PM
2011 Ecoboost, only a couple times now in a 2 month span ill be driving and the truck will shudder. Then all the numbers on the screen change to dashes, the speedo drops to zero and it shifts into 3rd and stays there. No service required notification, no engine lights, no codes. It just goes blank and drives in 3rd until you shut it off and start it again. Happened twice so far, with a long time in between incidents. Any ideas?

Ford Fan#1
11-03-2015, 06:43 AM
2011 Ecoboost, only a couple times now in a 2 month span ill be driving and the truck will shudder. Then all the numbers on the screen change to dashes, the speedo drops to zero and it shifts into 3rd and stays there. No service required notification, no engine lights, no codes. It just goes blank and drives in 3rd until you shut it off and start it again. Happened twice so far, with a long time in between incidents. Any ideas? idk. Welcome back though! I'd guess the cluster needs replaced or somthing. Just guessing.. Probably shouldn't though...

baldyman
11-03-2015, 06:54 AM
if it is shifting into third, and staying there i'd guess its more than the cluster. did you speak to the dealer? i've seen similar issues in an older super duty and the pcm needed replaced

masonic
11-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Yeah, I have one guy I deal with specifically but he hasn't got back too me so I left it at that for a while.

Also when I restart the truck the radio says turn off power to save battery, and the battery pops up on the display. Low battery?

Grabber70Mach
11-03-2015, 07:19 AM
Have you replaced the battery lately.

From Infinity and beyond

Never Argue With A Moron– They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

masonic
11-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Ha, not once, but I usually have batteries last more than 5 years.

baldyman
11-03-2015, 07:58 AM
maybe you've got a short somewhere then. have you rewired anything in the truck? i had the alternator short out in my old ranger, so the electrical system kept discharging as i was driving. shutting off lights and stereo. is the truck still under warranty? sounds like a fairly undesirable issue... you also had that intercooler problem a while ago, didnt you?

Jersey_Joe
11-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Ha, not once, but I usually have batteries last more than 5 years.
Have the batt tested or make fun of its mother! Lol. Welcome back btw. As silly as it sounds. I'd check the batt and start making decisions from there

5Star tuned.....

Ford Fan#1
11-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Have the batt tested or make fun of its mother! Lol. Welcome back btw. As silly as it sounds. I'd check the batt and start making decisions from there 5Star tuned..... x2.. Never thought of that.

masonic
11-03-2015, 11:53 PM
The intercooler issue is still sort of an issue. Their fix made the problem less, but not completely gone. The positive on the battery was a little on the loose side the first time, but the second time i have no guesses. I agree the battery should be checked, as for warranty there will be none for electrical. The weird part is that it happens 20 minutes into the drive, and only once.. So far.

----------

Also the truck hasnt really had a whole lot of miles in the last 6 months. Maybe 2k, I drive my other truck for the summer. Haha, Joe I feel like insulting it is stress relieving, but not effective so far..

RhinoZ24
11-04-2015, 01:08 AM
Haha, Joe I feel like insulting it is stress relieving, but not effective so far..

Lol Joe beat me to it about saying rude things about its mother. As for the issue I'm gunna have to agree with Luke as to it being PCM related since it affects the transmission, radio, an instrument cluster. Too many systems to just be some sort of short. I'd ask your dealer if they've had any kind of similar issues before.

Jersey_Joe
11-04-2015, 04:28 AM
The intercooler issue is still sort of an issue. Their fix made the problem less, but not completely gone. The positive on the battery was a little on the loose side the first time, but the second time i have no guesses. I agree the battery should be checked, as for warranty there will be none for electrical. The weird part is that it happens 20 minutes into the drive, and only once.. So far. ---------- Also the truck hasnt really had a whole lot of miles in the last 6 months. Maybe 2k, I drive my other truck for the summer. Haha, Joe I feel like insulting it is stress relieving, but not effective so far.. lol

5Star tuned.....

masonic
11-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Ill give it a shot next time I have some free time. Ugh😒 ha.. Yeah right, keep driving the chevy..