PDA

View Full Version : My rear end bit the dust...

frank5079
07-11-2015, 08:05 PM
On my way in to work this morning, I noticed a louder than normal whine coming from the rear end of my truck('95 F150 XLT). Working at a dealership, I had one of techs I work with raise it on the lift to have a look see. Well his prognosis was grim and he showed me where the rear end had hemorrhaged gear oil all over the place. His advice to me was to find a replacement rear end because mine is dead.

After punching in my VIN on the VIN decoder, I found out that I have an 8.8 inch rear end with a 2.73 rear axle ratio.

Since I have to replace the rear end, can't I just use a good old 9 inch rear with a Traction Loc differential? What do you guys think?

fird12
07-11-2015, 09:48 PM
On my way in to work this morning, I noticed a louder than normal whine coming from the rear end of my truck('95 F150 XLT). Working at a dealership, I had one of techs I work with raise it on the lift to have a look see. Well his prognosis was grim and he showed me where the rear end had hemorrhaged gear oil all over the place. His advice to me was to find a replacement rear end because mine is dead. After punching in my VIN on the VIN decoder, I found out that I have an 8.8 inch rear end with a 2.73 rear axle ratio. Since I have to replace the rear end, can't I just use a good old 9 inch rear with a Traction Loc differential? What do you guys think? is your truck 4x4?

frank5079
07-12-2015, 03:14 AM
is your truck 4x4?

No, it's a 2wd with a 5 speed...

fird12
07-12-2015, 07:49 AM
No, it's a 2wd with a 5 speed... sorry, on the app, can't see sig, while you're at it, might as well gear down too, iirc my bronco had the 9" rear end, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to

frank5079
07-23-2015, 06:02 PM
If I swap out my rear axle housing with one from a '95 F250, will the 5 lug axles from my rear end swap in place of the 8 lug axles of the '95 F250 rear??

RhinoZ24
07-24-2015, 07:49 PM
If I swap out my rear axle housing with one from a '95 F250, will the 5 lug axles from my rear end swap in place of the 8 lug axles of the '95 F250 rear??

Depends if the diameters and lengths of the axle shafts are the same. It was the same yer but one truck was light duty and one heavy (super) duty. Axles are usually thicker to account for extra torque and more weight so more can be towed and hauled. If the measurements are the same I don't see why it wouldn't work.