PDA

View Full Version : 4.6 heater core leak

Jfuhr83
07-07-2015, 12:02 PM
So either on the way to or back from my buddy's house to borrow his tractor I sprung a leak in the heater core of my 97 f150. Coolant smell was noticeable on the way home. Engine temp seems fine (not sure if gauge on those is true gauge or idiot needle, my ranger had an idiot needle). So I have 2 questions. How bad is it to drive with a leaky heater core, other than the smell, as long as I keep coolant full.
And 2, is there a likely cause, ie, recommend changing thermostat too or I will likely just blow the next heater core. I had a firebird that had a bad water pump and I changed heater core twice and radiator once before I got smart enough to track down real problem.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ford Fan#1
07-07-2015, 04:33 PM
So either on the way to or back from my buddy's house to borrow his tractor I sprung a leak in the heater core of my 97 f150. Coolant smell was noticeable on the way home. Engine temp seems fine (not sure if gauge on those is true gauge or idiot needle, my ranger had an idiot needle). So I have 2 questions. How bad is it to drive with a leaky heater core, other than the smell, as long as I keep coolant full. And 2, is there a likely cause, ie, recommend changing thermostat too or I will likely just blow the next heater core. I had a firebird that had a bad water pump and I changed heater core twice and radiator once before I got smart enough to track down real problem. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk it would probably make a big mess... But I don't see why It would hurt...

Jfuhr83
07-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Not that I'm not going to fix it, but I planned a bunch of house projects this week and really need to drive the truck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ford Fan#1
07-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Not that I'm not going to fix it, but I planned a bunch of house projects this week and really need to drive the truck. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk ehhhh.. I'm going to have to say you would be fine... Then again I'm 17 and have no idea haha. But surly someone else can help..

lee reece
07-08-2015, 06:02 PM
So either on the way to or back from my buddy's house to borrow his tractor I sprung a leak in the heater core of my 97 f150. Coolant smell was noticeable on the way home. Engine temp seems fine (not sure if gauge on those is true gauge or idiot needle, my ranger had an idiot needle). So I have 2 questions. How bad is it to drive with a leaky heater core, other than the smell, as long as I keep coolant full. And 2, is there a likely cause, ie, recommend changing thermostat too or I will likely just blow the next heater core. I had a firebird that had a bad water pump and I changed heater core twice and radiator once before I got smart enough to track down real problem. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You might try a stop leak! Just use a good one some aren't real cheap 10-12 bucks!

2007 F150 XLT FX2 SPORT - 5.4l 3V 3.73 LIMITED SLIP EDGE/EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER

Ford Fan#1
07-09-2015, 01:42 AM
You might try a stop leak! Just use a good one some aren't real cheap 10-12 bucks! 2007 F150 XLT FX2 SPORT - 5.4l 3V 3.73 LIMITED SLIP EDGE/EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER ehhhh I wouldn't try that honestly. It's basically like cement and clogs everything.. Or I've heard..

fordrules
07-09-2015, 06:03 AM
Save yourself a bunch of headaches and bypass the core till it can be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using F150 App

djfllmn
07-09-2015, 06:03 AM
Save yourself a bunch of headaches and bypass the core till it can be replaced. Sent from my iPhone using F150 App ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

lee reece
07-10-2015, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE="Ford Fan#1;100756"] ehhhh I wouldn't try that honestly. It's basically like cement and clogs everything.. Or I've heard..[/QUOTE

You hear alot but the truth is facts are always better than guessing on something you've heard! Just sayn!

2007 F150 XLT FX2 SPORT - 5.4l 3V 3.73 LIMITED SLIP EDGE/EVOLUTION PROGRAMMER

Ford Fan#1
07-10-2015, 07:16 PM
true. I wouldn't use much though