PDA

View Full Version : 2005 f150 Clicking or slapping noise on front end

fballman9
06-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Hey yall I have a 2005 f150 4.6 2wd and lately I have been hearing a clicking or slapping noise from what seems to be the front end while I drive. I have already checked the tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings, and sway bar links. I also recently changed the front brakes along with the rotor hub assembly I cannot seem to find the noise any help troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated

RhinoZ24
06-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Hey yall I have a 2005 f150 4.6 2wd and lately I have been hearing a clicking or slapping noise from what seems to be the front end while I drive. I have already checked the tie rods, ball joints, control arm bushings, and sway bar links. I also recently changed the front brakes along with the rotor hub assembly I cannot seem to find the noise any help troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated

Check the sway bar links again. They are hard to diagnose, but if there is any play whatsoever in the socket of the joint then that's most likely your cause. Also it sounds dumb, but check your shocks and coils, they could be loose as I've heard of that happening before. Keep us updated.

fballman9
06-10-2015, 10:45 AM
I shook the piss out of the sway bar links and nothing I'll check that my shocks are tight but other than that I'm just going to wait until the noise gets worse right now it's not bad only happens occasionally so I'll just wait until it gets bad enough for me to find the problem

cooperf150-06
06-10-2015, 11:11 AM
May be a long shot but I had a buddy have a lug nut break off and was bouncing around under the lug cover

RhinoZ24
06-10-2015, 12:23 PM
May be a long shot but I had a buddy have a lug nut break off and was bouncing around under the lug cover

That could be it, but check your tire wear. If its been going on for a long time then check both front wheels to ensure they are on tightly. If the lugs weren't all torqued down I have heard of the wheels being able to wiggle back and forth slightly dues to the forces of driving and the weight, causing noises like you described. That would also cause your tires to wear slightly unevenly. This is a tough one because you've checked or fixed the most likely suspects already. Gotta think outside the box now.

fballman9
06-10-2015, 10:03 PM
I'll tighten the lugs but the tires have only about 5k on them

RhinoZ24
06-11-2015, 01:10 AM
I'll tighten the lugs but the tires have only about 5k on them

If they have abnormal wear that could be the cause.

fballman9
07-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Found the problem I took my truck to get the tires rotated and the mechanic said it sounded like a bad ball joint so when I got home I jacked it up and while checking the ball joints I noticed that there is only one bolt holding the caliper bracket on haha teaches me to trust a shop haha good thing I didn't replace the ball joints