PDA

View Full Version : fuel gauge question

frank5079
06-02-2015, 10:10 AM
My '95 F150 has a long bed with dual gas tanks. I filled up the truck the other day and the front tank read 1/4; switching to the rear, it had 1/2. So I filled the front up and when I switched the tank selector back to front it read "Full". I didn't fill the rear tank since it still had a half tank. Long story short, when I used up the fuel in the rear tank, I switched back to the front, but this time the fuel gauge read "E". I filled the rear and topped off the front but switching to the front tank, the fuel gauge drops to "E". My guess is that I have a bad sending unit in the front tank. Do you guys concur??

Jersey_Joe
06-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Man frank it's been awhile since I had a dual tanker. But that sounds right. I think it's called the fuel sending unit. Er somthin like that. Been awhile lol

5Star tuned.....

sjholland.sh
06-18-2015, 08:40 PM
I know I've read about a valve/checkball being stuck open. I have a 95 with same setup and am currently trying to figure out if everything is OK.

frank5079
06-20-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm thinking a grounding problem. When I first bought the truck, the previous owner, a close friend and co-worker said that the fuel gauge for the front tank(when switched power windows and power locks quit working over a year ago; since I work at a dealership, I have co-workers who are repair techs and one of them diagnosed the problem as a "bad" ground. Well he "fixed" the problem by cutting the ground wire for the windows and wiring a direct ground to the chassis. Now the problem is every once in a while, my "CHECK ENGINE" light comes on and the fuel gauge will work and then quit. Any of you guys have this same problem??