PDA

View Full Version : 1964 gallaxy 2 door.

Ford Fan#1
04-20-2015, 08:32 AM
My friend has a 1964 Ford Galaxy 2 door Coupe... With original paint.. Should I use Anything special with the paint? He wants me to detail it and I'm not sure what would be needed to wax it.

Jersey_Joe
04-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Is it in bad shape?
Clay bar
With buffer-- compound
With buffer-- polish
Wax x2
Don't bother if ur not gonna use a buffer. Doing it by hand will just give it a look that says. I need to use a buffer cause the product can't work correctly by hand. Needs to generate more heat. If ur gonna b a detailer kid. Ur gonna have to step up. By hand is for the hot rods that come out on Sunday and come in on trailers.

5Star tuned.....

Ford Fan#1
04-20-2015, 07:03 PM
Is it in bad shape? Clay bar With buffer-- compound With buffer-- polish Wax x2 Don't bother if ur not gonna use a buffer. Doing it by hand will just give it a look that says. I need to use a buffer cause the product can't work correctly by hand. Needs to generate more heat. If ur gonna b a detailer kid. Ur gonna have to step up. By hand is for the hot rods that come out on Sunday and come in on trailers. 5Star tuned..... nope. It's in really good shape. Doesn't have any rust on the body and the paint is still shiny plus I don't have the money for a buffer as it is going to brakes and the air conditioner

Jersey_Joe
04-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Then save ur money and get one. Porter cable is 130$. Best bet for ur money. Period.

5Star tuned.....

----------

If u wanna b in the big time kid and call yourself a "detailer". There are more things u need to master. And that is what separates the men fro. The boys. There's a clean shine. And then there is a OMF shine. That's what people wanna pay for.

5Star tuned.....

Ford Fan#1
04-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Then save ur money and get one. Porter cable is 130$. Best bet for ur money. Period. 5Star tuned..... ---------- If u wanna b in the big time kid and call yourself a "detailer". There are more things u need to master. And that is what separates the men fro. The boys. There's a clean shine. And then there is a OMF shine. That's what people wanna pay for. 5Star tuned..... $130? Wow.. Does it come with pads and stuff? Or separate?

Jersey_Joe
04-20-2015, 08:23 PM
Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html)

You'll find a section fer pads too kid. Look for something that comes with compounding pads and polishing pads. And wax pads. And dude. Watch the tutorial video. You will learn a lot. Very simple. But will def turn your page on status to call yourself a detailer. Do your homework kid. Watch that video

5Star tuned.....

----------

Scroll down to the bottom and u will see a bonus pack. With pads. Check it out. But that buffer is fool proof. Yes even u kid. It's really not rocket science u can do it. If ur gonna spend ur money. That's the one to spend ur money on. I have one and love it

5Star tuned.....

Jersey_Joe
04-20-2015, 08:34 PM

Make sure u get the Velcro attachment. Because most all of your buff pads have the Velcro on them

5Star tuned.....

Jersey_Joe
04-20-2015, 08:35 PM

This is a compound color. It is a 5.5 pad. It has the Velcro. That's what u want.

5Star tuned.....

Jersey_Joe
04-20-2015, 08:35 PM

Autogeek. Is where I get it

5Star tuned.....

Ford Fan#1
04-20-2015, 08:45 PM
How's this? Porter Cable 7424xp Value Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-buffer-value-kit.html)

Jersey_Joe
04-20-2015, 09:00 PM
How's this? Porter Cable 7424xp Value Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-buffer-value-kit.html)
Yup. That's the one at the bottom of the page. Nice set up. Grab that. Polish. Compound. And some wax. And get to work. That's a good price man. Can't beat that. Gonna change ur game fer sure

5Star tuned.....

Ford Fan#1
04-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Yup. That's the one at the bottom of the page. Nice set up. Grab that. Polish. Compound. And some wax. And get to work. That's a good price man. Can't beat that. Gonna change ur game fer sure 5Star tuned..... gonna do some spray detailer on the car then after I get the buffer I'll do it on my mom's explorer..... Or my big brother's ( as a test ) so if I manage the impossible it won't be as tragic lmao

dchawk81
04-21-2015, 04:52 AM
Hell even I have a buffer. Seldom use it though but when I do it's great to have. I got the DeWalt DWP849X. Paid like $170 or so.

Ford Fan#1
04-21-2015, 05:48 AM
Hell even I have a buffer. Seldom use it though but when I do it's great to have. I got the DeWalt DWP849X. Paid like $170 or so. wow. That one joe has I can get for $150 with pads included

dchawk81
04-21-2015, 06:15 AM
But mine's yellow.

----------

Honestly you'd probably be fine with a Harbor Freight cheapie for now.

Ford Fan#1
04-21-2015, 06:28 AM
But mine's yellow. ---------- Honestly you'd probably be fine with a Harbor Freight cheapie for now. as long as it's impossible to f up I'm good with it lmfao

dchawk81
04-21-2015, 06:32 AM
Oh it's easy to f*ck up. I burned right through my Contour bumper. Beyond the clear, beyond the paint. Down to black plastic. Oopsie.

Grabber70Mach
04-21-2015, 07:03 AM
Oh it's easy to f*ck up. I burned right through my Contour bumper. Beyond the clear, beyond the paint. Down to black plastic. Oopsie.

Big difference in the two buffers, yours is a variable speed rotary buffer. Yes easy to burn through paint if you don't know what you are doing or pay close attention.

What Joe recommended and I have and use is a Dual action buffer. It is basically fool proof.

From infinity and beyond.

Never argue with a Moron, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Ford Fan#1
04-21-2015, 07:25 AM
Big difference in the two buffers, yours is a variable speed rotary buffer. Yes easy to burn through paint if you don't know what you are doing or pay close attention. What Joe recommended and I have and use is a Dual action buffer. It is basically fool proof. From infinity and beyond. Never argue with a Moron, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. :D that's why

dchawk81
04-21-2015, 07:26 AM
Yeah I kinda didn't pay attention.

Ford Fan#1
04-21-2015, 07:27 AM
Yeah I kinda didn't pay attention. that's why we are here :)

dchawk81
04-21-2015, 07:27 AM
To not pay attention?

Ford Fan#1
04-21-2015, 07:32 AM
To not pay attention? to correct you :D

dchawk81
04-21-2015, 07:33 AM
That makes sense!

Ford Fan#1
04-21-2015, 07:37 AM
That makes sense! haha

Jersey_Joe
04-21-2015, 10:09 AM
But mine's yellow. ---------- Honestly you'd probably be fine with a Harbor Freight cheapie for now.
Nope. He needs a dual action

5Star tuned.....

----------

Big difference in the two buffers, yours is a variable speed rotary buffer. Yes easy to burn through paint if you don't know what you are doing or pay close attention. What Joe recommended and I have and use is a Dual action buffer. It is basically fool proof. From infinity and beyond. Never argue with a Moron, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Couldn't have explained it any better. Remember I said to watch the video on autogeek. About da buffers. It will make sense when u watch it.

5Star tuned.....

djfllmn
04-21-2015, 05:14 PM
and that GALAXIE if it is truly original is single stage enamel(which i have my doubts that it still is)..means there is NO clear coat so you better be damn sure you buff it evenly or it will get splotchy on you

----------

how do i put this delicately...

you CLEARLY havent buffed anything before..DO NOT touch that car or you will have a mess on your hands

you need to look for any areas that are checking, turtle shelling, or lifting..you cant just go gung ho and get wheeling

Ford Fan#1
04-21-2015, 06:14 PM
and that GALAXIE if it is truly original is single stage enamel(which i have my doubts that it still is)..means there is NO clear coat so you better be damn sure you buff it evenly or it will get splotchy on you ---------- how do i put this delicately... you CLEARLY havent buffed anything before..DO NOT touch that car or you will have a mess on your hands you need to look for any areas that are checking, turtle shelling, or lifting..you cant just go gung ho and get wheeling I was planning on just using spray detailer on it then hand waxing another time as I don't have a real buffer. I have a headlight restorer drill attachment and rubbing compound lmao

djfllmn
04-21-2015, 06:20 PM
I was planning on just using spray detailer on it then hand waxing another time as I don't have a real buffer.

that will be like pissing into the wind...pics of said car? i have serious doubts its still original

Ford Fan#1
04-21-2015, 06:48 PM
that will be like pissing into the wind...pics of said car? i have serious doubts its still original I asked him if he could send me a picture of it. Hasn't replied yet. The picture from what I've seen it had a reflection and was still shiny so it's not in horrible condition paint wise.. It has a small spot of rust on the bumper but that is all he said it had

djfllmn
04-21-2015, 06:58 PM
If it has a high shine it is NOT original paint. Original paint would have a semi gloss shine at best

Ford Fan#1
04-21-2015, 08:44 PM
If it has a high shine it is NOT original paint. Original paint would have a semi gloss shine at best well.. I'm not sure honestly. I'll post a picture of it when I get one

Ford Fan#1
04-22-2015, 05:50 AM
Here you go dj

dchawk81
04-22-2015, 05:52 AM
Cars always look shiny when they're wet.

djfllmn
04-22-2015, 06:19 AM
Here you go dj

hard to tell in that picture...but in my somewhat educated guess that car has clear coat on it

Jersey_Joe
04-22-2015, 06:55 AM
I would have to agree wit u dj. Bad pic but if I had to guess. That's what I'd say

5Star tuned.....

----------

But sweet car

5Star tuned.....

Ford Fan#1
04-22-2015, 06:56 AM
hard to tell in that picture...but in my somewhat educated guess that car has clear coat on it I'll see it in person Friday ( he's putting it in the car show ) and I am putting my truck in it too..along with my friend with the 98 olds

----------

I would have to agree wit u dj. Bad pic but if I had to guess. That's what I'd say 5Star tuned..... ---------- But sweet car 5Star tuned..... yeah it is good looking from what I can tell

djfllmn
04-22-2015, 07:02 AM
chrome looks redone too

Ford Fan#1
04-22-2015, 07:14 AM
chrome looks redone too he said his grandpa bought and the original owner said he just changed the wheels and that the rest is original

djfllmn
04-22-2015, 07:16 AM
he said his grandpa bought and the original owner said he just changed the wheels and that the rest is original

yea theres no way...im calling BS on that one..talk is cheap

Grabber70Mach
04-22-2015, 07:33 AM
My thoughts are it's been repainted at sometime, seems too shiny to be single stage.

From infinity and beyond.

Never argue with a Moron, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

RhinoZ24
04-22-2015, 09:55 AM
chrome looks redone too

X2, or someone was really motivated and spent days buffing that to a shine. I don't even think that's possible after so many years.

Ford Fan#1
08-19-2015, 06:14 AM
My buddy drove it to school yesterday ( and today ) so i looked at it. The chrome hasn't been re done ( has surface rust ) and the paint is single staged ( original ) or really really oxidized and needs a paint correction ( deep swirls ) the speedometer and temperature and gas gauge don't work. ( he ran out of gas 3/4 way to school haha )