PDA

View Full Version : Starter problems: wont start when HOT!

mattkilla
02-02-2015, 06:13 PM
So I bought my 91 inline 6, 2 years ago. When I purchased it the guy I bought it from had already rigged up a switch to the solenoid because the ignition switch in the steering column had gone bad. So to start the truck you must turn the key all the way forward to start, press the clutch, and push the starter button that he rigged up. This worked good for about 6-8 months.

The problem I have come across now is that whenever the engine has been running longer than 15-20 minutes (engine is warm) the starter will not start the truck up. It turns over, but very slowly, not enough to start the engine . If I continue to try to start it will eventually get to the point where it barely does anything when trying to start. I have examined the starter after this and it is HOT!! Also the ground wire coming from the battery also gets very HOT! If I allow the engine to cool for 1-2 hrs when I go back and try to start it works fine. This is very bothersome for me since I have to leave it running wherever I go. In the summer time I have to allow it to cool for 4-6 hrs sometimes because of the outside temperature. I believe the starter has gone bad, I have tried beating the s**t out of it while trying to start but I get no luck. Not sure if it's a solenoid problem that's why I am here to ask. Has anyone experienced this before and what may be the problem?? I had a buddy tell me his used to do the same thing and it was a timing problem, but that doesn't seem like it to me. Any help would be awesome.

Battery has been tested and is fine.

RhinoZ24
02-03-2015, 01:16 AM
It sounds like a bad starter to me. Have it tested

Dodge Sucks, Chevy Swallows

mattkilla
02-03-2015, 06:22 AM
Are's diagnosic tests really as accurate as they say they are? My example is once you get the starter free from the load of the truck it may perform very well diagnostically because it is not under the strong load of the truck once you put that starter back under The truck it could continue just cause the same problems and still look good on paper?

RhinoZ24
02-03-2015, 12:40 PM
That's a valid point but it's still worth a shot. If you're having that bad of problems then something would show up if it's the starter.

mattkilla
02-03-2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks rhino, a starting point will definitely to get the starter checked

RexReid
02-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Rhino is really smart, but and that is a big but, chances are it is the starter. Of course the engine could be running hot, BUT you should notice that or your ground could be bad or your power to the starter cable could need replacing. BUT, my money is on the starter which as you hinted won't have the engine heat when it is tested. Good luck.

mattkilla
01-07-2016, 10:41 AM
Finally got around to replacing the starter, because it finally got to the point that it would not crank. Bought a re-man from advanced and slapped it on and all has been well ever since.

Sent from my Sammy S6 using Revolution 1.0

Jersey_Joe
01-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Finally got around to replacing the starter, because it finally got to the point that it would not crank. Bought a re-man from advanced and slapped it on and all has been well ever since. Sent from my Sammy S6 using Revolution 1.0
Ha. Better late than never huh lol

5Star tuned.....

Grabber70Mach
01-08-2016, 08:23 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160108/ee3a414c79065c3b598fcfad2deb8e54.jpg